Feasibility of sound conversion of older DC models

Jenny Emily

I was taken by DCC sound whilst at the Leigh exhibition a few weeks ago. I have watched DCC progress from the sidelines over the last ten years, and finally the sound sold me. Money is tight at the moment (impending purchase of house and subsequent DIY improvement projects will take priority) but I wondered about the feasibility of sound conversion for older models I have amassed over the years.

The locomotives I would be wanting to sound convert:

The Hornby Hunslett Austerities and J94s are a type of locomotive I like and which I've amassed quite a few of. I wondered whether anyone has successfully converted these models to DCC sound? There isn't much room in them, though the cab is quite open. However anything in the cab would be very visible. These locomotives were nevwer designed for DCC, so there is no socket in them as far as I know. They include 68068 & 68049 in BR black, "Whiston", "Harry" and "Cadley Hill No1" in industrial liveries.

Older Bachmann 08/20/24/25s - I have lots (around nine 08s, and 15 of the others) however most were bought when these models first appeared, so were not designed to take sound chips. The later 24/25 models certainly have sockets for DCC chips, but I don't know whether the chassis have provision for the necessary sound gubbins. Is there a change in the design of the chassis to accomodate later sound fitted examples, or has the newer chassis got bits cut out to take the sound kit? I don't have the boxes to hand for the catalogue codes, but the models in I would really likie to consider for sound fitting are 13365 (first 08 release in plain BR green), 08507 (faded weathered blue collector's club model), 08243 (BR blue from the hinged door release), 08800 (Intercity) as well as classes 20/24/25: 24081, 25087, 25279, 25083, 20042 (Waterman railways limited edition) and 20063 which were all bought pretty much when these models first appeared so will be the earliest version of the chassis.

I have a DCC fitted 25 (25034) which appears to have a cut-out in the top of the chassis block - is this the place for the sound stuff to fit in? The earlier models don't seem to have this.

Given the cost of retro-sound fitting locomotives (seems to be around £115 per loco from what I can find available) would it be easier and more cost effective to buy newer factory fitted sound locos and do chassis swaps with earlier models? The only "must-keep" locomotives are 08507 and the industrial liveried Austeriities - the others I'm not as bothered about if it prooves to be cheaper and easier to replace them with factory sound fitted versions. The early release Bachmann 24/25 models certainly don't have directional lighting on them for a start. At least initially (again due to cost) my plan would be to sound equip two or three locos and then see how it goes.

Can anyone provide any advice? I'm new to DCC and have nothing except a solitary DCC fitted Bachmann 25 (and no control equipment) so treat me as a thicko novice!

EDIT 15/10/2010:

I'll take no answers as no-one knows, or that it isn't possible. Thanks for looking.

Archived