Dursley

Del

I've just had another look at this plan in Barry Norman's 'Designing A Layout' and after having a surf about, I wonder if anyone could help with a few questions.

Firstly, how long was the platform? It *looks* long enough for three coaches and an 0-6-0, about 3ft in 4mm?

Is there anything about the plan that makes it immediately say 'Midland'? If I wanted to use the same basic plan but move it somewhere else would it still look right? For example, I've seen photos with a class 14 and also a class 22 (?) working the yard. If I wanted to go Southern say, I guess an 09 and a 73/33 would suit with maybe an EPB?

Or if I wanted to go ER, an 03 and a 15 maybe, with a 105 or 108 on the passenger turns?

Thank you, chaps. Little grey cells working away.

BR green/blue changeover period, interchangeable regional signage. ..

Thumper, not EPB though, removable third rail is going a bit far...SmileyHmm.gif

Thinking about it a bit more, if I go to BR banger blue I can just use the black-on-white signage that wasn't region-specific...

Might have to lose the 15, though. :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Del,

It's funny that you are looking at this plan, as I have been also looking at this plan for my next project as this is nice compact design. I was, although thinking abut changing a few things around, for example using the fiddle yard as the other part of the run-around loop. This would give much more space for coaches / wagons in the loop.

As far as region is concerned, the track plan is fairly universal. The buildings and station name boards, furniture etc would identify the region / period being modelled. The background / industrial buildings could be 'transplanted' from other regions, but the railway specific buildings would be region specific.

Will be interesting to read your comments and see how you get on

Richard

Archived