spraying a class 20 triple grey

Hi all,

Tried spraying a class 20 with triple grey to represent an HNRC current loco but I'm having a problem with the lines left by the masking tape in between each colour. I'm using Tamiya 6mm tape but obviously there is a build-up of paint next to the tape. As a relative newby to RM Web and spraying I'm sure someone may have already come up with a solution. I have tried using a scratch brush and scalpel but these destroy the finish. Any ideas please?

Regards

Allan

I've found this problem too on my first attempts. What about trying 1200 wet and dry paper and T-cut with the paper folded in such away that it won't disturb the surrounding finish?

If the finish is disturbed you could consider T-cutting the whole body with cloth and cotton buds which will produce a distressed shine to the loco and would still be a base for weathering. If it's too shiny you could also consider spraying matt varnish too after you've got rid of the lines this way.

There should be more experienced people with perhaps some better suggestions.

Cheers

Andy

I'm no expert either but I'd say two things on this -

First is to obviously use thin coats - I know how easy to is to be tempted to lay it on thick but take your time and bring the colour up gradually.

Second is to remove the masking tape ASAP - i.e. while the paint is still tacky - the idea being that the "edge" will drop down onto the surface and dry flat.

Hope that helps,

Bruce

Hi all,

Tried spraying a class 20 with triple grey to represent an HNRC current loco but I'm having a problem with the lines left by the masking tape in between each colour. I'm using Tamiya 6mm tape but obviously there is a build-up of paint next to the tape. As a relative newby to RM Web and spraying I'm sure someone may have already come up with a solution. I have tried using a scratch brush and scalpel but these destroy the finish. Any ideas please?

Regards

Allan

Hi Andy

Thanks for the info. I bought some 1200 wet & dry last night and will give it a try. I dont want to use a lot of weathering because the photos I have seen in Rail Express seem to show the locos in good nick, unless anyone has seen them in a mucky state.

Regards

Allan

I'm no expert either but I'd say two things on this -

First is to obviously use thin coats - I know how easy to is to be tempted to lay it on thick but take your time and bring the colour up gradually.

Second is to remove the masking tape ASAP - i.e. while the paint is still tacky - the idea being that the "edge" will drop down onto the surface and dry flat.

Hope that helps,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I think thats where I've gone wrong, a bit too much paint. It was also perhaps a lack of patience considering the number of times I had to apply & remove the masking tape for the five main colours. I'll try your method on the second body.

Thanks for the info.

Allan

Hi Allan,

The build up sound like a little too much paint is stopping on the edge of the tape you are using the best tape out there with the Tamiya, a mate of mine told me a good tip for painting R/C clear polycabonate bodies he did hundreds in the racing season.

Most people them sat sat on a flat surface the inside surface upermost & sprayed leaving too much paint in the body at times leaking under tape ...... the solution is to hold the body & spray up inside the body any excess paint falling away :) solves the problem of overspray so in your case spray the body so its upside down when your doing it as soon as it has a colour coat stop spraying all your excess paint has fallen away & not had chance to bulid up on the edges. ;)

The easiest way to get smooth joins between colours is to spray in sectors so instead of spraying the whole loco in it's main colour actually mask the lines at the start. Then for the next colour give the edges a very light sand with p2000 sand paper, mask off along the line and your ready for the next colour which will then slot in with the first colour. As already said use thin coats (a consistency of milk is close to what you require) and also make sure that you store your masking tape in a sealed bag so that the edges do not pick up any dust as this is very important if you want to get a clean edge.

Hope that makes some sense!

M

Allan,

Just sent you a PM, but having read the thread I had misunderstood. The key is as others have said most likely to be down to paint thickness. What paint are you using, and are you thinning it properly?

Cheers,

Andi.

Hi Andi,

Just replied to your pm before I read your reply on the forum. I'm using railmatch about 50/50 with enamel thinners.

Cheers

Allan

Archived