Classes 40 and 46 - c1970-3

Hello all.

I'm keen to busy myself with a little project backdating my Bachmann Class 40075 and 46053 (blue livery) to early 1970s condition. I know that diesel locomotivees around this time are a bit of a minefield and I've not been able to find a great deal of information regarding details such as boiler/exhaust ports and bodyside steps. The latter on my Class 46 are modelled as plated over. When did this start?

Effectively what I'm asking is could I use my models 'as is' with little more than a careful renumbering job and replacing the Peaks domino headcode with the earlier version? Or will I need to make some fairly major alterations?

Sorry for this rather convoluted query. Any advice and/or appropriate photos would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

You could do a lot worse than start with Brush Veteran's galleries, Richard:

http://grahame910.fotopic.net/

As for your specific query, OTTOMH I think your period is just about when the steps started to be plated on Peaks. The only other obvious thing I can think of is that the 40 may need the frost grille fitting, although (again OTTOMH) I think ER ones started to lose theirs about the same time

Thanks Pennine. :)

It looks like the Class 40 will be the easiest to backdate, though it being a LM machine I want to represent I'll have to dig out the frost grilles. The 46 looks like it will need some roof modifications so I might keep that in later 70s condition and just try and represent the decade in general.

The 46 looks like it will need some roof modifications so I might keep that in later 70s condition and just try and represent the decade in general.

Must admit, I'm not that clued up about Peak roof mods, except that there were someblush_mini.gif

Archived