Micro-trains coupler for peco chassis

A neighbour gave me a couple of micro-trains couplers to try out in my ongoing search for not-absurdly-fiddly alternatives to clunky n gauge rapidos. As they seem more manageable than other couplers I've tried (B&Bs) I thought I'd buy a pack to try. I was wondering which of the many micro-trains options are best suited to fit a peco chassis which I have with most of my wagon kits. My neighbour is a 2mm finecale modeller so he would have bought them to fit other chassis I presume. These are the 1027 short shank ones, which are good for closing the gap between wagons, but maybe not best suited to fit my wagons?

cheers

Darren

Hi Darren,

I've used Microtrains couplings on PECO wagons successfully. The only practical way to attach them though is to use the "Body Mount" couplers (which the 1027 is one of). However the 1027 is a design with a second plastic pin which is designed to fit particular US-outline wagons etc. The "standard" couplings are the 1015 and 1016, which a have a "body" with more of an inverted 'T' shape and attach with only a single screw.

I'd imagine the short-shank couplers like the 1027 and 1015 would work with PECO wagons with their short buffers, but if you use wagons with more scale sized buffers (or ever replace the PECO ones with turned brass etc) you would probably need to use medium or long shank couplers.

To physically fit a Microtrains coupler to a PECO wagon you'll need to do a bit of surgery. To start off with you'll have to cut off the mount for the "ELSIE" coupling, and probably cut into the black chassis mounting to remove some depth. If you buy the Starter Pack it comes with a metal gauge that sits on the track and indicates the height that the coupler should sit at on the headstock. Mark that line and cut away to that depth, and use the tap (or just a slightly smaller drill) to make a hole to attach the coupler with a screw.

This is quite a bit of work, and probably slightly more than for a DG or B&B. However, Microtrains are much easier to put on many Farish and Dapol wagons which have a sprung rapido coupler, just use one of the "universal truck mount" couplers. However there isn't yet a NEM compatible coupler from Microtrains, but Bachmann have announced a compatible one for release next year ...

Hope this helps!

Justin

I primarily used 1015s on the Peco wagons that I modified. As mentioned, the Elsie housing has to be removed. Other options are the 1025 or the 2004 (which has a raised head). The 1027 is designed to fit some MicroTrains boxcars chassis that have a depression for the locating pin. They would probably work, but you may have clearance issues with the axles of short wagons.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian and Justin, you've cleared that up for me! I suppose there is still a bit of work involved, but it's the kind of work I don't mind. Cutting off the peco coupling mount is pretty straight forward. I found the coupling assembly much less fiddly for the micro-trains compared to the b&bs, although fitting the spring is a bit problematic. I have fitted brass buffers to some wagons so will have to bear that in mind too.

Off to mg sharpe tomorrow on my birthday tour of model shops so will pick up a starter pack. My neighbour also gave me kato couplings to try for rake coaches and wagons. Probably buy some of those too.

Thanks again

Darren

Thanks Adrian and Justin, you've cleared that up for me! I suppose there is still a bit of work involved, but it's the kind of work I don't mind. Cutting off the peco coupling mount is pretty straight forward. I found the coupling assembly much less fiddly for the micro-trains compared to the b&bs, although fitting the spring is a bit problematic. I have fitted brass buffers to some wagons so will have to bear that in mind too.

Off to mg sharpe tomorrow on my birthday tour of model shops so will pick up a starter pack. My neighbour also gave me kato couplings to try for rake coaches and wagons. Probably buy some of those too.

Thanks again

Darren

If you are going to build the coupler boxes (rather than buy the pre-assembled ones), the MicroTrains coupler assembly jig is invaluable. It provides the third hand required ti hold things in place while you insert the spring.

If the Kato couplers are the older style (non automatic) knuckles, I find them good for fixed rakes of coaches and the like, and they can be made to fit in standard Rapido boxes (but not Elsie mounts).

Adrian

If you are going to build the coupler boxes (rather than buy the pre-assembled ones), the MicroTrains coupler assembly jig is invaluable. It provides the third hand required ti hold things in place while you insert the spring.

If the Kato couplers are the older style (non automatic) knuckles, I find them good for fixed rakes of coaches and the like, and they can be made to fit in standard Rapido boxes (but not Elsie mounts).

Adrian

Does the micro-trains jig come in the starter pack? I certainly need help getting the spring in!

Yes, the kato ones are the non-automatic style, although the mg sharpe website is showing them as out of stock I think.

Thanks

Darren

Archived