Hornby Sound 08

Soundloco

Two years ago at DEMU we see an O gauge layout with sound models on it, and remember how imprest we was with the 08 (as well as other models on the layout). When we see Hornby was releasing one this year in EWS livery we placed our order. It has finally arrived as was advertised to be here 2nd quarter, but was it worth the wait ? We don't think so, as to us it does not sound like the O gauge one we see, and sounds a little tiny to us and not right ? Has any one else found this or is it just us ?

Also like the Hornby class 60 we have the horn stays ON when you press the button, until you press it again.

This has put us off getting any more Hornby sound loco's until we either hear them for ourselves, or read reviews on them.

Hi,

Don't forget, an O gauge 08 will have room for a much larger speaker than a Hornby 08.

But i agree, it does sound tinny.

the speaker is mounted vertically in the nose, facing inwards (I usually fit the speaker to the cab as there is more air to be moved about in there)

I've done a quick modification by sealing the gaps around the speaker (All the way around the edge, and underneath) with blu-tak and turning the volume down to 35

This helps, but I would like to spend a bit more time looking at alternative solutions to improve the sound.

The trouble is, you don't get much by way of bass from a 16x25mm speaker.

Additionally. - the horn being on until you press the button again - that is pretty standard.

You should be able to change the settings on your handset to deal with this.

Most controlers allow you to change your function buttons from on/off to momentary, so that the function is only on when you have the button pressed.

The settings apply to the locomotive entry, not all locos.

So you can, for example, set F2 to momentary for loco 3, but it will not affect the other locos on the layout, where F2 remains on/off.

Also, the Hornby class 50 sounds excellent, and the 60 and 56 are very good when the volume is adjusted down slightly (Around 45-50)

• 5 weeks later...

Two years ago at DEMU we see an O gauge layout with sound models on it, and remember how imprest we was with the 08 (as well as other models on the layout). When we see Hornby was releasing one this year in EWS livery we placed our order. It has finally arrived as was advertised to be here 2nd quarter, but was it worth the wait ? We don't think so, as to us it does not sound like the O gauge one we see, and sounds a little tiny to us and not right ? Has any one else found this or is it just us ?

Also like the Hornby class 60 we have the horn stays ON when you press the button, until you press it again.

This has put us off getting any more Hornby sound loco's until we either hear them for ourselves, or read reviews on them.

I have removed the "rubbish" Hornby call a speaker and replaced with a standard 23ml round speaker plus Baffle box (!) in the cab.

Yes, this meant removing the cab interior but in all honesty i could not see it when the loco is on the layout anyway!

I only replaced the speaker Saturday morning before a show and when i put the Hornby 08 on the layout, i was amazed by how much better the sound quality was and the volume. I had to quickly P.O.M. to turn the Sound down to 30, so just below half volume and i think it needs to go down further again.

I hopefully will utube it later today and paste more comments to my intiial review here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/22599-Hornby-class-08/

Archived