Right Track DVDs and others

• RMweb Premium

As a probable returner to the hobby after a long absence, I'm keen to get up to speed with all that is ongoing nowadays. I've taken the first tentative steps regarding joining a club but I'm keen to make a start on a (small) layout to see whether I can match or surpass the enjoyment experienced from the hobby in years gone by. With this in mind I would welcome comments on the questions posed below.

Has anyone any experience of the Right Track DVDs? They seem a bit pricey to me but may provide excellent reference material.

Or would I be better getting (one or more) books?

The same goes for the TeleRail DVDs (including what appears to be extracts from past issues in DWV form).

Views/experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

I have several of these DVDs and can recommend them - books and magazines are good - but the DVDs provide much better insights into the various techniques. I believe they have some trailers on YouTube or the Right Track website - if you want a taster? Otherwise, look out for them on ebay for a possible bargain.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

I found the scenic ones very good. Seeing it being done is a lot easier to follow than the written word. However it can be expensive buying the lot and you dont need to keep watching them. Perhaps there is a local club which has a set for to members to view. Otherwise some co-operative orders with pals could help

DonW

• RMweb Gold

I have all bar the last three and would thoroughly recommend them. Reading a book or magazine is fine, but the Right Track series adds a new dimension - and it's a lot more entertaining that TV some evenings! One note of caution. Tony Wright is a skilled and dedicated modeller/photographer, but his presenting style can grate at times. Indeed, the latest BRM has an article where he is compared to Marmite...

Archived