Which Class 37 sound for 'Depot' layout

rushdenx1

Hi guys.

I was just a bit disappointed after following earlier cv setting recommendations earlier in this thread ,resulting in no improvement.

Ho hum!

Regards

Lee

Hi Lee. Altering the cv's will never alter the 'sound' behavior as these are a series of sound recordings which have to finish playing before the next can start. In the case of the SWD/Bachy 37 this includes a long pause in 'idle' which is a bit of a pain! The effect can be improved a little by a combination of cv settings and driving technique though. Try these -

cv2 – 1 cv3 – 64 cv4 – 40 cv5 – 25 cv6 – 12 (make a note of the old settings first of course). Once these are in try this -

On 28 speed steps set off on step 6 , when the thrash starts go straight up to step 13. This gets the most thrash for the shortest distance travelled. Don't go any higher than step 13 as this moves the sound into the next 'slot' which isn't as loud! If your not intending to run the loco on anything other than a shed layout you could set cv's 5&6 even lower! Be warned though, with cv4 at 40 it takes a while to stop! HTH, kev.

Hi guys.

I was just a bit disappointed after following earlier cv setting recommendations earlier in this thread ,resulting in no improvement.

Ho hum!

Regards

Lee

Once warley is passed, could well be worth you ringing Swd and asking about a "Depot / heavey load" class 37 project.

The one thing to consider is that once set however, it may not suit a Tailchaser, unless on a heavy load alal my oil train utube video.

I find using notching allows me to get the best sounds out of the locos around Rimenough, those that are not set for depot use that is.

Hi all, I've spent ages trying to match the perfromance of an SWD Mk3 and a Mk4 37 decoder to run a double header, without success I might add.

Think I may get them both re-blown, which is a shame, as I like the SWD Mk3.

Andy

What settings have you been using?

Guest Digital

Hi all, I've spent ages trying to match the perfromance of an SWD Mk3 and a Mk4 37 decoder to run a double header, without success I might add.

Think I may get them both re-blown, which is a shame, as I like the SWD Mk3.

Andy

As you like the SWD V3 why don't you ask Steve at South West Digital if he still has the V3 sound file and just get 1 decoder reblown to match the other.

John

Hi. I already have 2 37's, fancied something different.I get the feeling from what people have said there isint a whole lot in it with regards to the actual sound quality, the difference seems to lie in the driveability. If that's the case any chip should demonstrate the difference.

Cheers

Lee.

What settings have you been using?

I have tried changing cv's 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 to match those on the Mk3. Am I missing something? I don't want to mess up the decoder by changing too much.

I would like the locomotives to sound different, as one is an un-refurbed (mk3) and one is refurbed (mk4).

Andy

Thanks Simon, I had had a look through the thread that you linked to, and thanks for you info.

I think that the solution will be to transplant the decoders into 2 other 37's that I have, and then order two more decoders for the double header project.

I will ask the supplier if they can supply the decoders set up for my needs.

Andy

Guest Digital

Andy

Simon is right the V3 settings will probably not be the same, Steve at South West digital will be able to confirm this for you.

I have done a small video of a pair of my Class 37's running double headed.

Willaston Road Video Link

Hope you get yours sorted how you want them.

Regards

John

Evening. Further to my previous post...I fitted my Howes class 26 chip today and was very impressed. It sounds great, but even more importantly, it's much more driveable than the SWD offerings, straight out of the box, with no tinkering.

Had a decent amount of thrash on just a yard length of track.

Happy bunny!

Sending a 37 and 47 chip off to Howes tomorrow for re-blowing.

Cheers

Lee

• 1 month later...

Hi there i own a few sound locos and i can definatly say howes sounds are the best ive heard and you can easily control when it thrashes or not at all speeds. unlike bachman with the anoying notching that always goes to ful thrash and you dont have much control, and after hours and days of messing with cvs i have finaly got it to work better but still not as good as howes and no were near loud enough, howes are loud which i prefer.

with a howes loco you can open up to speed step 1 and when you hear the break release wait a second or 2 as the engine raises sound. then open her up a bit and you will have thrash from the start off . and the engine sounds increase with speed like real, then when at any speed you can cut back the thrash with one or 2 notches down and it will spool down then it will idel at the speed the loco is going. then you can either step down to stop or just slow and the sound will stay with you, or you can open her up again and get more thrash which gets more intence with speed i suggest practicing on a loop of track, and having your acceleration cv3 = 30 and the deceleration at cv4= 8 for safety 10 or 20 to play with the spool downs more.

i would like to try olivias and swd , i love the bachman sounds but there way to quiet and wish they responded like howes. saying that if you have many lococs its good to have some variation.

i hope this helps im new member starting today. i can also recomend the howes hst and if you have a cat like me that anoyingly jumps on layout. the sound of the valenta starting and the horns will shift it pronto.

• 3 weeks later...

HI guys another 37 fan here, i have just purchased today a mr soundguy 37 chip and it sounds excellent one of the best ive heard, ideal for small layouts too,

i also have just got a zimo 37 0 and that is mind blowing, ill be doing vids of them this week end for anyone interested, i also have Bachmann 37s howes 37s including slug, and the mr soundguy one sounds great too,

i live up the road from dcc supplies and have despite bad reports from some give them ago, and i think there great. and i totaly recomend the 37 to anyone looking for a controllable driveable loco.

the horns sound great and there is a playable one that if held down sounds for as long as you like, there is also manuall notch up and down that goes through button press by button press.

unlike the Bachmann one that goes right through the sequence all the time.

cheers guys

rob.

Can only say you are doing something wrong. My Bachmann /Swd ones are controllable.

The main problem with the Bachmann and SWD ones is that you have to drive them according to the sounds if you want a realistic effect. The locomotives themselves are perfectly controllable but if you accelerate the sounds don't follow for a while; the Bachmann/SWD setup means that the loco revs up then starts moving but then the engine revs drop back to idle - if you have kept accelerating this doesn't really look convincing. Don't get me wrong, I am not criticising the sounds themselves, which are excellent.

On the other hand, the Howes versions will rev up to match the acceleration and speed settings much more closely - they are not perfect but do come much closer to realism with the sounds following the throttle settings more instantaneously than Bachmann/SWD's. For a tail-chaser or long run, this isn't much of a problem but for a short depot or shunting layout, the Howes sounds should have the edge as they will rev up and thrash before the locomotive has run off the far edge of the layout! :)

That's my take on it so far. BTW, I have three Bachmann 37s with sound: a Bachmann original but with two speakers and other tweaks, a Howes unrefurbished one and Howes refurbished one (both also with two speakers and similar tweaks to the original).

EDIT: I'm not trying to criticise Piemanlarger as I know he has a lot of experience with sound locomotives and has posted a good many video clips in the past. I am merely trying to clarify what we mean by controllabilty and how that relates to the various suppliers of sound decoders.

HI guys another 37 fan here, i have just purchased today a mr soundguy 37 chip and it sounds excellent one of the best ive heard, ideal for small layouts too,

i also have just got a zimo 37 0 and that is mind blowing, ill be doing vids of them this week end for anyone interested, i also have Bachmann 37s howes 37s including slug, and the mr soundguy one sounds great too,

i live up the road from dcc supplies and have despite bad reports from some give them ago, and i think there great. and i totaly recomend the 37 to anyone looking for a controllable driveable loco.

the horns sound great and there is a playable one that if held down sounds for as long as you like, there is also manuall notch up and down that goes through button press by button press.

unlike the Bachmann one that goes right through the sequence all the time.

cheers guys

rob.

Using a Std Bachmann sound fitted 37, provided you set the Function buttons that control the notching to momentary action ie NON latching you can go through (hold) the notching one step at a time both up and downwards. Provided the notching feature is first CV enabled, this is also possible on SWD 37 decoders, and possibly ? Howes - on which I've yet to try this, although they respond that well to throttle movements, it's probably not required in their case.

HTH

Ken

well guys ive been playing with all my 37s with sound this weekend and i love them all, but the best one will supprise a few of you without any hessitation most of mine will be getting fitted with the mr soundguy class 37 it is the best one ive heard, after many years watching them this one has controlable sounds revs correctly and sounds soo good ill put a video up later. i still love my howes ones too and would rank it as good as that but possibly better.

with zimo equal to these. bachman and swd great sounds but need to have sounds more responsive. in my opinion, ill post vids when i get back from my grandads of the zimo 37 254 and mr soundguy 37 038,.

all the best rob

Archived