Preserved AC traction in unusal place

Pete

No idea, first time I have got off a train at Gidea Park.

Mark

You haven't missed much oh, Noel Edmonds lived there................rolleyes.gif

The works is the large building to the east of the station which was, I think, and someone can correct me - a Wagon works for the GER. It's had at least two major fires that I'm aware of and probably is being converted into Executive Apartments...

I used to live in Shenfield before New York.

Best, Pete.

86701 & 86702 have now replaced 86101 & 87002 for Thursday, so the train can visit Chingford.

Mark

Seen at 15.35 this afternoon in the up loop platform at Broxbourne. Looking very pretty topping and tailing the train to.

No pictures I'm afraid as we were on our way back from a half term trip to London, sans camera.

Flymo

Is the reason why 87's are banned from Chingford still not known...?

Pure guess here, but perhaps there's the potential for too great a current draw from the line with two 87's (in effect) in the same section compared to a pair of 86's?

Pure guess here, but perhaps there's the potential for too great a current draw from the line with two 87's (in effect) in the same section compared to a pair of 86's?

The rear loco is pan down and carries a battery tail lamp, so current draw from SWSFRS and RS together isn't the issue. And I doubt 4x Mk2 would need 10,000+HP, unless they're load bank testing.

87's are banned from Hoe St. tunnel near Chingford, possibly due to the only 87 that operated on the GE in BR days being 87101 which had "funny round things" on the cab roofs which might have exceeded it's loading gauge compared to standard 86's, and the paperwork not updated despite a few 87 later running in the area. Loading gauge regulations are a strange issue, when 85101 was named at Doncaster in 2003, the plates had to be removed for it's journey back to Barrow Hill because there weren't on the class' paperwork loading gauge profile (although we got away with leaving the double arrows and depot diamonds on....).

Now couldn't they have used 87002 or 86101?????????

Because Virgin drivers don't sign notchers anymore. DBS are having a bit of trouble with class 90 availability at the moment, and have had to use a 92 on the Sleepers because of failed sanders on 90036. They really ought to be spending some money on the class 90 fleet, unless they're not to bothered about maintaining the Sleeper or Virgin standby contracts. If there was money to be made, DRS or GBRf would be resurrecting 87's from Long Marston for this work...

Because Virgin drivers don't sign notchers anymore. DBS are having a bit of trouble with class 90 availability at the moment, and have had to use a 92 on the Sleepers because of failed sanders on 90036. They really ought to be spending some money on the class 90 fleet, unless they're not to bothered about maintaining the Sleeper or Virgin standby contracts. If there was money to be made, DRS or GBRf would be resurrecting 87's from Long Marston for this work...

Thankyou for your answer which I had more or less presumed to be the case.

It was just a fanciful thought on my part - perhapes in the context of a 'prototype for everything' when it comes to modelling matters.

It was just a fanciful thought on my part - perhapes in the context of a 'prototype for everything' when it comes to modelling matters.

Wierdest thing I have seen is an 08 shunter pulling the Royal Train while propelling three Dogfish wagons.

I wonder if HM would have let us use her mess coach once we had unloaded the hoppers?

Thankyou for your answer which I had more or less presumed to be the case.

Using an 86/7 has been talked about before, but there's the issue of retraining staff. I agree it'd be good if it did happen tho....

Archived