Hornby Class 395 'Javelin'

Edinburgh Junction

Thanks Jack

Its the lads Xmas present, iv no really problem with Hornbys chips just that there's more funtions you can tweak on the Baccy one.

I would also rather DCC ready for the above reason.

Not seen your layout for a while on the new forum , unless iv missed it :icon_redface:

I did need an A to Z to get around the forum when it first transfered :lol:

Stu

Your welcome Stu! Ahhh.... Im one of your lads right? You wanna get it me? Lol!!! Only joking :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not seen my layout? Its been on the new forum for ages! Loads of new news etc! Please do pop over to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/42/entry-136-edinburgh-junction-platforms-4-and-5/ to see it!

Is it my track as Im on my second Javelin, first one ok propelling very smooth but stopped on some of my Hornby Express points, but with power end leading it did n't run well at all even on straight track it would judder over a certain speed as if something in motor was n't meshing.

Anyway that one was sent back and I recived my replacement.

This one works in both directions without the judder but stops and derails over some of my points, iv cleaned all the track and wheels without any success.

My Pendo does this sometimes but a good clean and problem is sorted, my Bachmann, Hornby locos don't have a problem over the same points that the Javelin/Pendo stop on.

Could it be the way these motors are designed with traction tyres and lack of weight?

Another problem iv had is one of coupling will not release unless you use real force to seperate not like the others in the the train.

As this was a present for Xmas im really disappointed with it and at the price iv paid, it'll be going back and iv'll stick to Bachmann, Hornby locos in future.

Has anyone else had these same problems?

Cheers

Stu

Is it my track as Im on my second Javelin, first one ok propelling very smooth but stopped on some of my Hornby Express points, but with power end leading it did n't run well at all even on straight track it would judder over a certain speed as if something in motor was n't meshing.

Anyway that one was sent back and I recived my replacement.

This one works in both directions without the judder but stops and derails over some of my points, iv cleaned all the track and wheels without any success.

My Pendo does this sometimes but a good clean and problem is sorted, my Bachmann, Hornby locos don't have a problem over the same points that the Javelin/Pendo stop on.

Could it be the way these motors are designed with traction tyres and lack of weight?

Another problem iv had is one of coupling will not release unless you use real force to seperate not like the others in the the train.

As this was a present for Xmas im really disappointed with it and at the price iv paid, it'll be going back and iv'll stick to Bachmann, Hornby locos in future.

Has anyone else had these same problems?

Cheers

Stu

I have had problems with my pendo but i removed the traction tyres filed back the flange a bit and also did a bit of filing to the points seems to have cured the issue with me but I've yet to try the javelin yet but I would of thought that they would have similar/same motors

I have had problems with my pendo but i removed the traction tyres filed back the flange a bit and also did a bit of filing to the points seems to have cured the issue with me but I've yet to try the javelin yet but I would of thought that they would have similar/same motors

Thanks 60maniac

Out of interest did you add weight to your Pendo after removing tyres as mine with load 6 will spin on the track when propelling round a bend with tyres? and did you file the plastic bit of the frog or the rail bit leading into the V? or both?

Can't bring myself to attack a brand new model but my Pendo is 2 years old.

cheers

Stu

The other obvious thing to check is that all the wheelsets have correct back-to-back measurements. Even small differences can cause the sorts of problems you describe - points will find problems in back-to-back settings where plain track won't.

The other obvious thing to check is that all the wheelsets have correct back-to-back measurements. Even small differences can cause the sorts of problems you describe - points will find problems in back-to-back settings where plain track won't.

Thanks SRman

Unit now gone back, going for a DS Bachy Skin Head as my DS models work fine on my layout.

Stu

Thanks 60maniac

Out of interest did you add weight to your Pendo after removing tyres as mine with load 6 will spin on the track when propelling round a bend with tyres? and did you file the plastic bit of the frog or the rail bit leading into the V? or both?

Can't bring myself to attack a brand new model but my Pendo is 2 years old.

cheers

Stu

Yes it used to spin but ive added a weight out of an old lima loco so stops it a little and it was the plastic bit as t kept scrapping against it with the traction tyres its lifts it above so the problem didn't really occured

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've found that both my Javelin and Pendolino are prone to the motor bogie derailing if either stopped or started too quickly.

If driven with care (prototypicallybiggrin.gif )both mine are fine, I have a 9 car Pendolino which has not been modified in any way (still has it's tyres) and it's a great runner on our club layout.

I just bought the extra two coaches for the Javelin toobiggrin.gif

Cheers and a Merry Christmas to all!

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this train, the model not the real thing, yesterday for the first time and I have to say it looks mighty impressive. Even the plastic pantograph looks good.

However, on another forum this model has,generally, been rubbished somewhat. Poor running, weak motor shedding tires etc.

Can any owner give an update on this model now you had had them for a few days?

Cheers, Jerry

• 4 years later...

Is the chassis on the railroad Javelin the same as the super-detail one? I've got my eye on "Sir Chris Hoy" whenever that comes out, but the traction tyres are bugging me. Would it be possible to switch the traction tyre wheels on both chassis, then replace the chassis in the "dummy" unit with the railroad one?

Archived