Colour match query - Bachmann Metro Cammell Pullmans

Flood

I've got a possible future project in the pipeline and I'm looking to match the umber and cream on the Bachmann Metro Cammell pullmans as closely as possible.

I don't mind whether the paint is Railmatch or Precision and the colour options appear to be either Pullman umber and cream or using BR WR chocolate and cream or GWR chocolate and cream.

Has anyone found a pretty close match straight out of a tin yet?

Hi Flood.

Check out Precision Labels web site before you take the plunge. They do overlays for both the Hornby and Bachmann Pullmans, (Link on my 1928 Pullman thread), and can just about match to either manufacturers specification. I got some for my 1928 stock, but didn't end up using them as I'd completely replaced the sides on my models.

Not sure what your upcoming project is, but these may help?

I have bought some car aerosols too, but haven't got them to hand at the minute. They're pretty general, but if you want me to hunt them out for the numbers, let me know.

Cheers.

Sean.

Thanks for the reply Sean. I must say that I've always been impressed by your user name, seriously original.

Anyway, we've managed to renumber the Bachmann pullmans. It turns out that they're not painted, the brown is the colour of the plastic they're moulded in. The thought is to try to match the colour so we can repaint a Bachmann BCK to add to an SLOA rake. We've already bought one in Western Region chocolate and cream but the shades are darker than the pullmans.

We'll keep seeing if we can match up any colours ourselves but if anyone does know of any "out of the tin" match it would make life easier.

BTW very good thread on the 1928 stock, you're doing a great job there.

Thanks for the reply Sean. I must say that I've always been impressed by your user name, seriously original.

Anyway, we've managed to renumber the Bachmann pullmans. It turns out that they're not painted, the brown is the colour of the plastic they're moulded in. The thought is to try to match the colour so we can repaint a Bachmann BCK to add to an SLOA rake. We've already bought one in Western Region chocolate and cream but the shades are darker than the pullmans.

We'll keep seeing if we can match up any colours ourselves but if anyone does know of any "out of the tin" match it would make life easier.

BTW very good thread on the 1928 stock, you're doing a great job there.

Hi Flood.

Thanks for your reply and compliments.

Ironically, one of todays jobs is to re-number one of my MK1's, having sprayed the roofs grey. I have two kitchen seconds in my rake and both are numbered 332. I guess it would be funny to see 333, but will have to research the numbers before I decide - it would be embarrassing to get it wrong!!!!!

I'd like to see progress on your project as its similar to mine, and will be interesting in my view.

I did hear a story, some time ago, that the Bournemouth Belle, (I think), ran with a couple of GWR liveried full brakes at one point and that the Southern were very reluctant to send them back to the Western region and sent a couple of Maroon ones, hoping the Western wouldn't notice. Might be folk law, but a funny story I think.....

I've just had a thought. I took a Bachmann Pullman to the local car spares shop and matched up as best I could - in poor light - and came up with these two.

Rover Russet Brown.

Ford Sahara Beige.

I'm not saying they'll be perfect, and I didn't actually use them in the end, using the Railmatch paints instead with some acrylic laquer, which seemed to darken the paint to a very near match. There is a picture of a MK1 with one of my conversions on my thread which may be a comparison. See what you think?

post-6920-060097300 1289470432_thumb.jpg

HTH.

Sean.

Archived