Loksound micro in Bachmann 03 shunter

AG&R

Hello All - I have just found this web site and have learned quite a lot of useful stuff so here's my first question regarding DCC sound. I have ordered a Bachmann 03 shunter with a Loksound Micro decoder from Olivia's Trains in Sheffield. Neil informed me that his fitter says it can't be done but I said I would have a go. I have seen a video of one done but not seen any details of specific problems or fixes around them. Has anyone else tried it yet who is willing to give me the benefit of their experience. I have ordered it with the 08 sound file just in case it won't fit. Then I can pop it into my existing 08 and use the old decoder for the 03 without sound - if you know what I mean - sort of thing. If it does fit I'll let you know and then Neil will re-blow the chip for me when he has the sound file and knows if it the job can be done or not.

The vid link is here: http://www.rmweb.co....nd-chip-videos/ I note that it emanates from someone on this web site so if you read this please tell us more. I have looked using the search but cannot find any references to it.

Thanks in advance.

I have fitted a Micro into the 03 shunter using the standard speaker. I lost the cab light and the driver and the speaker enclosure could do with being black. I have posted before with a YouTube vid but this is my own project so not available to buy.

The alternative is the 13mm speaker but this is only 50 ohms or the latest 16mm which I don't have.

The Micro goes under the bonnet on top of the motor but is a tight fit. The resistors need to be lodged in grooves in the casing but have been installed with short wires.

But yes it can be done and yes I have done it.

Guest 838rapid

Any chance of pics showing the fitment under the bonnet.

Have fixed mine in the cab for now,But like the sound of it under the bonnet.

Thanks

Any chance of pics showing the fitment under the bonnet.

Have fixed mine in the cab for now,But like the sound of it under the bonnet.

Thanks

I regret that my camera doesn't see through plastic. If I take the body off then you will not see how it is done. It is a squeeze and some have been bold enough to take the resistors off.

I think it fair to say that this is not an install for the faint hearted and the reason that dealers won't allow themselves to do it is that they know it requires surgery which negates the warranty. This is a brand new model. Even I shied away from surgery to the chassis under the cab and/or taking out the cab console.

Guest 838rapid

No Worries Dave.

Yeah can see where your coming from.

Think I shall leave mine cab based as its tucked out the way and doesnt distract from the loco.

Thanks anyway

• 2 years later...

Archived