Another They do exist.

alcoRS1

Isn't that where Hank Hill worked? No, that was Texas......

It's true though isn't it that once away from the 'burbs almost every house has an LPG cylinder tucked away somewhere (especially rural Pennsylvania, anyway).

Best, Pete.

Note there aren't any cars spotted at either of them. Are they rail served or do they just have rail access? Back in the 1990's one of the first industries I retired a switch from was an LPG dealer that hadn't recieved a car in over 5 years.

Not very clear from the satellite shots, but if modelling note the bund walls surrounding the tanks and a enclosing sufficient area to contain even catastrophic spillage.

Also, in the UK, there are rules about how close tanks can be sited to other buildings, I assume, looking at the pictures, that similar rules apply in the USA.

At one of my employers we installed a 2tonne Propane tank about 1 metre closer than the rules allowed, so we had to build an anti-blast wall 8ft high between it and the buildings "threatened".

Edit, Sorry about the mixed dimensions!

In the UK spill-walls (bund-walls) are required, IIRC, for tanks above 1/2tonne, as although spilled liquid Propane does become gas very quickly, the gas is heavier than air and will spread at ankle level with consequent dangers to surrounding property and people. With a flash point below zero (-104C) any spark will cause rapid combustion.

The rules may be (will be?) different in USA, and I don't wish to start a trans-Atlantic argument about Bund walls.

Ah yes, LPG "explosion" = "bleve", I love that word but not the consequences of it.

I understand that LPG rules are different from 'State to 'State. On the question of walls they would have to contain a volume greater than the tank because it is under pressure - further the slightest breeze renders containment wall pretty much useless.

Best, Pete.

This site http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=876+Clancey+Crescent,+Newmarket,+York+Regional+Municipality,+Ontario+L3Y+8H2&ll=43.732569,-79.473392&spn=0.001539,0.002393&t=h&z=18 used to be a propane facility (not rail served) until it caught fire a little over two years ago. Propane cylinders ended up in the houses both east and west of the line, and in the cemetary. There was a slow order for trains through there for about as week after the fire, but it basically did not affect the line (line is raised in that area). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Toronto_propane_explosion

Probably a third or more of urban houses around here will have a propane cylinder for a barbecue, so propane is a fairly important business.

Adrian

Archived