If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Care in the Community

Andy Y

Just as the old directory path was rmweb.co.uk/forums the change to rmweb.co.uk/community recognises a shift in RMweb. For some time it has been more than just a forum breaking out of the online vapour with Members' events and a presence on the exhibition circuit. In the main it's fair to say that keyboard warriors kept well away from such physical interaction preferring to lob missiles from their secret bunkers whilst a good number of people have had enjoyment from the events, particularly the last two years at Taunton and Chasewater.

Already I can see another development of this with the new software in that more people are putting a face against their ethereal identity, a positive move that takes some of the 'faceless' perception of forums away, Readers outside of a normal forum culture link extreme views with anonymity, that isolation often putting the real value of that opinion into perspective. Having more faces behind names is a good thing in my view and bodes well for the future. In our real communities we are wary of the hoodies* who hurl invective from their disguise and this transposes into our online communications.

So, having built a new little village I think it's a good time to see more of the neighbours, take care of the neighbourhood and continue to put the hoodies in their place. Anyone abusing the amenities will be moved on sharply, all you need to do is use the report.png button and we'll act accordingly.

Regardless of that I honestly think we're going to have a more positive, vibrant and productive environment from this point forward and think it'll be something more of us will look on with pride.

*I currently posess and wear several hoodies, more as practical attire than a self-imposed sartorial pair of fingers.

• RMweb Premium

Already I can see another development of this with the new software in that more people are putting a face against their ethereal identity, a positive move that takes some of the 'faceless' perception of forums away, Readers outside of a normal forum culture link extreme views with anonymity, that isolation often putting the real value of that opinion into perspective. Having more faces behind names is a good thing in my view and bodes well for the future. In our real communities we are wary of the hoodies* who hurl invective from their disguise and this transposes into our online communications.

I agree with you fully that anonymity very often leads to a shocking absence of manners in a virtual environment such as this. I've seen this myself on a good number of forums I read or got involved with in the past, coming away disgusted every time. From my personal experience I would even go as far as saying that a good percentage of folks who sign up on forums do so simply because this more or less allows them to behave like they probably never would when actually facing their opponents. Of course, there are instances when the concept of anonymity as such does have its merits, but whenever it is merely used as a welcome excuse to start fires (figuratively speaking) it becomes cowardice - in my view, that is. Just thinking of anonymous reader's comments on the on-line portals of major newspapers often makes my stomach churn - just to give an example.

Naturally enough, such folks who join forums with a clear intention to wreak havoc are usually the first to scream bloody hell when somebody else dares suggest taking away the anonymity factor. But of course I am aware of the fact that there also is a good number of people who prefer anonymity for other and perfectly legitimate personal reasons, and these I would like to expressly exclude from the before statement.

But of course I am aware of the fact that there also is a good number of people who prefer anonymity for other and perfectly legitimate personal reasons, and these I would like to expressly exclude from the before statement.

Being one of those, I still like the option to be anonymous and would not like to see public "outing".

I am quite willing to expose (perhaps not the best choice of word) myself to other members at shows and other events where there is a mutual "real world" meeting, however, I will continue to hide my face in the ethereal world of the www.

I have been around RMWeb for a long time and by now most folk have a pretty good idea of my views on many topics and if they are new they are welcome to search through the 1000's of often tedious posts to seek that out.

I think it doesn't take many posts to get a pretty good judgment on the characters (sorry community members) on here.

• RMweb Premium

Being one of those, I still like the option to be anonymous and would not like to see public "outing".

As I said, that's absolutely your right, and I hope you did not feel as if I tarred you with the same brush as the kind of trolls I addressed in my previous message.

Hi folks

I have joined in hope of learning a few things, last time I had anything to do with model railways I was using T T gauge stuff, which was going to save the world, so now I am on N-Gauge in hope of getting back into the hobby. I am not far from retiring and need something to do.

The latest news that has impressed me is that Bachmann are going to make new couplers, which as far as I can see are a nightmare

Archived