OO gauge wheel standards

I'm just about to order some wheels for a model, but have a choice of either code 88 or code 110. Which, if either, of these is "standard" for rtr OO gauge? Would code 110 which is I understand a finer scale wheel still run okay on Peco code 75 track?

Stu

NMRA RP-25/110 is coarser than RP-25/88 http://www.nmra.org/...andrp/rp25.html

RP-25/110 is normal for OO and will work perfectly with Peco 75.

Looks like I got it the wrong way round!

I suppose what I should have asked is whether the finer version i.e. code 88 would be okay with Peco code 75?

Stu

Looks like I got it the wrong way round!

I suppose what I should have asked is whether the finer version i.e. code 88 would be okay with Peco code 75?

Stu

I think it probably will, based on my limited experience of the end wheelsets on the Bachmann Deltic, which appear to be RP-25/88. These have given no trouble on a mixture of fairly recently purchased Peco 100 and 75. (They did however 'fall into the hole' on the crossings of the last couple of thirty odd year old Peco 100 points that were on my layout until recently.) Look good too...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Stu,

No they won't. :(

The basic rule on all railways (full-size and model) for the wheels to be fully supported when running through crossings (frogs), is that the wheel width must be greater than two flangeway gaps. If it is less than that, it is liable to fall into the crossing gap with a bump, and may even derail.

Peco code 75 track has a flangeway gap of 1.25mm, so the absolute minimum wheel width for acceptable running is double that, 2.5mm.

Code 88 wheels are only 2.2mm wide. Code 110 wheels are 2.8mm wide, and are the ones designed to match such track.

More about this at: http://www.rmweb.co....ndpost__p__4067

regards,

Martin.

Archived