Keaton's Rocket

bertiedog

A clip from Youtube,of the Rocket replica built for the comedy film "Our Hospitality", the 1923 Buster Keaton comedy, featuring this crazy railway scene, the whole film is on Youtube as well as this clip. The film is public domain.

Never been able to find out how it is powered on the track, but I assume rope hauled........the whole film is a classic Keaton.....

• RMweb Gold

I doubt that it would be a real steam loco, I know that in 1925 the original Locomotion appeared to be moving under her own steam but it was a combination of oily rags in the chimney and a petrol engine in the tender that move ger along so maybe somthing similar was in use 2 years before?

The power used for "The Rocket"is still a mystery, there is no valve gear, no controls, no steam leaks etc, and to get such reliable operation over the appalling track would be a miracle with a real steam engine..

It might be battery electric or a petrol engine n the tender, but there are no visible gearboxes etc., or drive parts under the tender. I suspect rope pull, or pulling out of frame, or pushing out of frame, but how it stays on the track beats me! The bump over the tree trunk must be rope pulled etc, no way would a powered unit be able to go over such an obstacle.

The gauge appears to be three feet or so, with at least three types of track, and genuine switches on a real line (filmed on location in Oregon), where he later shot "The General" on the same sets. Buster Keaton was a railway buff all round, he designed the train, and other period details for his film.

The driver, by the way, is Buster Keaton Sn., his father, in one of the few roles he played in films.

Stephen.

Archived