Video of gauge 1 BR50 from KM1 Modellbau

Jens Vesterdahl

Hi all.

Two weeks ago I got my first gauge 1 (1:32) locomotive - a German BR50 steam locomotive from KM1 Modellbau.

You may not know this manufacturer, but they have this feature called "Dynamic Smoke", which basically means the steam exhaust is synchronized to the wheel revolutions and of course the sound.

Last weekend my club attended a hobby show in Copenhagen, and apart from test runs on a very short track at home, this would be the first running day for the BR50.

I had planned to make a demo video for TouchCab at the event, but during the day the engine simply blew us away, and the video ended up just showing off the locomotive.

Now, I have sold most of my H0 rolling stock to finance this locomotive, and while I had given the matter a lot of consideration, I did have a sting in my heart when I sent off all those waggons in the mail. But not anymore. I do not regret for one second that I switched to the larger scale.

Take a look at this video:

(It's shot in HD 1280x720, so you may want to go to YouTube and switch to full screen - it's worth it)

Enjoy smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3L30mzOxjQ

Best regards

Jens

I certainly have - thanks very much for posting it up!

Dynamic smoke - can you tell me more about the DCC chips used and other items to make it happen?

It is very interesting as I have been trying out sound into Gauge 1 locos for a friend and it might be an interesting additional feature I could do for him.

The decoder is a LokSound XL - I'm guessing v3.5 - from ESU.

The dynamic smoke and sound is synced directly to the wheels. When we were trying to get the second engine in the double header to operate (straight from the box), the motor would not run, but everything else worked. When the engine was pushed, the sound and steam chuffs were there, so they come from the axle revolutions. It remembered reading somewhere that there is a "display switch" in the tender to switch off the motor so the engine is immobilized for standing on a shelf making a spectacle of itself, and after switching the motor on, everything was fine and the double header was formed.

The dynamic smoke is made with a small fan (or something). The smoke unit I believe is a KM1 custom, with a reservoir for 40 minutes and cylinder valve exhaust and all. Notice that when the engine is idle, the fan is active to simulate that the blower is on ...

KM1 even make a BR57 with steam from the whistle too smile.gif

So, while the decoder is stock, there is something else in there, but I don't know what exactly.

Jens

Archived