Jewellery Wire

In the current Model Rail, George Dent uses black covered nickel jewellery wire to make cables for the front of his Class 950 conversion. I am looking for something similar to that to represent electrical cables to CCTV cameras and the like. Does anyone have any better ideas? I note that George's cable seems to come off a spindle but seems commendably straight on the model. My runs will be longer and I am a bit concerned that it will be impossible to straighten wire off a spindle...

I popped by our local florists the other week to get some wire for DG couplings and was shown a selection of different wire gauges all packaged in shortish straight lengths. I went for the thinnest and picked a packet which must have about 200 150mm lengths in, was quite pleased to be charged 50p rolleyes.gif

In the current Model Rail, George Dent uses black covered nickel jewellery wire to make cables for the front of his Class 950 conversion. I am looking for something similar to that to represent electrical cables to CCTV cameras and the like. Does anyone have any better ideas? I note that George's cable seems to come off a spindle but seems commendably straight on the model. My runs will be longer and I am a bit concerned that it will be impossible to straighten wire off a spindle...

I've never tried this type of wire, but a "trade" trick we used to use in the old Pye factory was to grip the (copper) wire in a vice, then with a pair of pliers at the other end, stretch the wire, which work-hardens it as well as straightening it.

I've never tried this type of wire, but a "trade" trick we used to use in the old Pye factory was to grip the (copper) wire in a vice, then with a pair of pliers at the other end, stretch the wire, which work-hardens it as well as straightening it.

The jewellery wire is the same, well the stuff I have is! It's a fairly soft steel/iron wire and stretching it straightens it and work hardens it nicely.

Pulling has been mentioned, but an extra is to twist the wire as it is pulled, a few turns will work wonders with soft wires, although steel might not respond so well. Grip one end in a bench vice with soft jaws or wood slips, take about a yard of wire, and wind and bind to a wooden handle, pull tight, and turn, re-pull and turn, repeat as needed till when relaxed it stays straight..

The wire can be "worked" by pulling through you fingers as it is pulled to remove more serious kinks.

Dead straight wire should be the result, copper, brass and nickel all work well, steel may need annealing with dull red heat to soften before it is stretched taunt.

Stephen.

Archived