Repainting ViTrains Locos

I have just purchased a trio of the ‘bargain’ offerings from ViTrains. My plan is to strip then down to bare plastic, detail them and then repaint them into liveries that I require. I did the same many years ago with several Lima locos but I seem to remember that Lima paint reacted differently to the usual methods used on Bachmann, actually Mainline(!) and Hornby paint. So I am asking for advice on the best method to strip ViTrains locos back to bare plastic.

Thank you for any advice.

I have just purchased a trio of the ‘bargain’ offerings from ViTrains. My plan is to strip then down to bare plastic, detail them and then repaint them into liveries that I require. I did the same many years ago with several Lima locos but I seem to remember that Lima paint reacted differently to the usual methods used on Bachmann, actually Mainline(!) and Hornby paint. So I am asking for advice on the best method to strip ViTrains locos back to bare plastic.

Thank you for any advice.

24 hours or so in a bath of Isopropanol, available from a chemist. That should get you back to the plastic.

J

Archived