New On30 layout ..Citadel and Starlight

bertiedog

Hi Stephen,

Not really American, but it's Cape Gauge (as are all the railways in the land of the long white cloud), and the name matches: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenbrook_Vintage_Railway

It's a nice railway, was there shortly before I left New Zealand in 1993...

Some of the first loco's down under were American Sourced...

Cheers,

Friso

I came across a New Zealand connection on the web, but another mention on the web says there was a TV programme that used the name on locos, a comedy in the 1970/80's and this was what Bachmann Kader based the livery on.

They market them in the States as sets, not like the Moonlight Express version, which is made for Hawthorne Village by Bachmann.

It is on Ebay, but it may rise in price beyound the Moonlight versions, which are £29 at the moment, and I got one on auction at £19.99, which is very low indeed for the quality, straight out of the box it runs very well...... would that the OO stuff from Kader ran as well!!

I am always after decent stuff at this sort of price, otherwise I would build it, but at this price why bother?

Stephen.

It seems that Bachmann invented the name and livery, (probably knowing of the New Zealand line), and market it as "Summit Pass" railroad sets in the States, so the livery, which is very good is their own design.

Stephen.

I have often used the same idea for loco bolts with brass dressmakers pins,, it's just a bit time consuming! I actually have a jig for it, a groove in a steel block that take the pin to hold it at the right depth for the file to cut to across the head, indexed in the same way via the nut on the pin vice. Pattern makers for kits etc., use such dodges.

The Grandt line ones also have the moulded washers as well incorporated, needed with wood structures.

The LaFrance Fire Engine has come in from Ebay, Chinese Die-cast model, by Yat Ming, Signature series at 1/43rd scale, so a tiny bit big for 1/48th, but at this quality who is worried. Very high quality paintwork, lining, and name transfers.

post-6750-0-35307600-1294783260_thumb.jpg

Superb quality model, almost all metal, looks accurate to photos on the net of preserved examples in the United States. Well modelled fire hoses, both flat and round, nice ladders, crying out for a crew, but it will stand in front of a Fire House being cleaned and polished, probably the only non weathered item on the new layout.

Stephen.

post-6750-0-35273400-1295369174_thumb.jpg

post-6750-0-46481700-1295369203_thumb.jpg

A 1938 Ford for the layout, from China, by Eligor(French), with figures, one of the best O scale diecast cars I have seen, bar the Fire Engine. Will make a nice feature outside a store. Has nice matt finish, but canary yellow!

Stephen.

Care of Ebay, at £19.99...ridiculous for a 1/4 inch scale On30 260 loco, (except for the livery!), the second of the C&S fleet., to be black livery with red oxide trim, cab top, tender top etc., and graphite smokebox. Have to be fitted with working front knuckle coupling, as dummy is fitted.

post-6750-0-47198800-1294671134_thumb.jpg

Bachmann make a replacement Pilots with working Knuckle coupling for the 2-6-0 Cat No29908 come in packs of 2

Bachmann make a replacement Pilots with working Knuckle coupling for the 2-6-0 Cat No29908 come in packs of 2

Not in the UK according to Bachmann Europe, they have to be imported from the States and cost as much as the loco at these clearance prices!! A couple of Kadees should be cheaper., with the box filed out to fit.

Many thanks.....

Stephen.

Despite Bachmann's phone reply, the website has the converters in stock, at twice the US rice, and have to be ordered, but I see some appear on Ebay so might get them direct from the States, even with postage they are cheaper.

• RMweb Premium

Also available from Paul Martin at EDM Models for £9 pair - at the bottom of this page http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Bachmann/parts.htm

You may also be interested in the Step Pilot that Paul produces http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/EDM_Models/edm_details.htm and a comprehensive set of illustrated instructions here http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/EDM_Models/Pilot%20Instructions3.PDF

Mike

Not in the UK according to Bachmann Europe, they have to be imported from the States and cost as much as the loco at these clearance prices!! A couple of Kadees should be cheaper., with the box filed out to fit.

Many thanks.....

Stephen.

Got mine from trhe locial Bachmann stockest

Bachmann did have them on there uk website last year but just been & looked it looks like there adding new topics & have not added items yet

Archived