Track Spacing

KJM

(I know I sometimes bang on about people using the search facility, but is it just me that finds it a little irking when someone resurrects a long-dead thread to ask a single question, often only peripherally related to the OP?  It pops up looking like a new thread, and you realise after a while that you're wading through stuff that was discussed years ago - and sometimes containing information which has since been superseded - only to find at the end a single post asking a question that you know is answered, or at least adequately discussed, in other more recent threads - or even higher up the same thread.  Oh, OK, it is just me.  I'll shut up, then.  As you were.)

(I did use the search facility but what I had typed brought me here rather than the more direct threads on the subject and for all the talk about radius curves and Peco track I couldn't see an answer. Might it be possible for an Admin to merge a few of these similar threads?)

Thanks guys, just wanted to be doubly sure as i'm about to lay track. Regarding the narrowing at platforms though this is relevant to my layout as my main line station is on a strait so thanks for the attachments David, will do some additional checking before finalising my track centre.

Ta  

• RMweb Gold

The phrase, 'As you were' is issued as a command at the top of the voice so as to be heard across the parade ground, and should therefore be written in capital letters (to be certain that the recipient understands the serious nature of the offence), thus: "AS YOU WERE!"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And it is worth remembering, since you remembered the original thread after a while, that newbies come along seeking knowledge without having read the original thread, which makes it's resurrection worthwhile...

• 2 years later...
On 21/11/2010 at 13:15, Gwiwer said:

Mk 3 passenger coaches overhang significantly at the centres but I found a surprise in that the Heljan Cargowaggons seem to have the largest over all "kinematic window" as it was these which ultimately dictated track spacing.

I'm assuming that this is because the length between bogie centres on the Cargowaggons is actually greater than the Mark 3, even although a Mark 3 is longer.  I've measured a Hornby Mark 3 coach and it seems to be about 210 mm between the bogie pivot points, whereas the Heljan Cargowaggon seems to measure approximately 222 mm.  That extra 12 mm between the pivot points means that the overhang in the centre is presumably greater, which is what pushes out the track spacing.

However, I'm assuming that the worst combination would be the Mark 3 coach on the inside track and the Cargowaggon on the outside track, since the end throw of the Mark 3 must be greater than the end throw of the Cargowaggon.

I'm glad that I found your findings that this is a more onerous design vehicle.  I guess the question is, is there anything else that I don't currently have but might one day have that I should aim to take account of at the planning stage?