Basingstoke Show, and finally "Best in Show"

Western Star

The next exhibition from the Basingstoke & North Hampshire MRS is to be on the weekend of 12/13th March 2011. As in previous years the venue is the Richard Aldworth Science College. For Sat Nav users the post code for the college is RG22 6HA, for the rest of us there will be AA signs for direction to the venue. Details of location, opening times and admission prices are on the Club web site, see here:-

http://www.bnhmrs.hampshire.org.uk/exhibition/2011/index.html

The Club has arranged for a free, Heritage, bus service between Basingstoke Railway Station and the Show, the service timetable is:-

Station leave at 0945, 1035, 1150, 1320, and 1430 (1430 service is not Sunday).

Show depart at 1015, 1130, 1300, 1415, 1530 and 1630. (1630 service is not Sunday).

We have confirmation for 25 layouts across most of the popular scales /gauges, being:-

4mm scale

---------

Rowlands Castle...........OO....WARTIME SOUTHERN

East Street Wharf.........EM....GWR/BR

Cornwallis Yard.............EM....WR pre WW2

Morwellam & Riverside..OO....BR WR blue

Greenfield Sidings.........OO....BR Southern

Leaford........................OO....Modern Southern

SE28...........................OO....SR BR

7mm scale

---------

The Engine Shed 82G....O-FS....BR (WR) engine shed

Knockley Gate..............O-FS....Severn & Wye in the Forest of Dean

Leavesden....................O-FS....BR (SR) 3rd rail circa 1985-95

3.5mm / HO scale

----------------

Zweisboden.......................HO....Bavarian, modern image

West Street Yard...............HO....American

Golden Ridge.....................HO....American

3mm scale

---------

Hoath Hill Halt.....................BR (SR) 1968-72 era branch

Uplyme...............................BR SR

Narrow Gauge

------------

PURBECK......................OO9....Freelance clay workings

Tan y Bwlch....................OO9....Festiniog

Nettlecombe....................OO9....1930's south west

Simply Narrow Gauge.......On30

N-gauge

-------

Just Sidings........................Modern Image

Willerby and Kirkella............BR NE 1950-1958 (Hull & Barnsley)

Ottosschwande.....................Preserved Slate Quarry, Germany

Z gauge

-------

UNSERSTADT .....................Northern Switzerland

Bad Feriendorf.....................Germany, Rhine area

Gauge 3

-------

Warton Road ...................Radio Control of traffic

regards and thank you, Graham Beare

Here is a photograph of "The Engine Shed 82G". This layout has been covered in British Railway Modelling in the recent past so you can see more of the layout and read about the construction in that magazine... or buy the December issue of BRM which has a free DVD which is dedicated to "The Engine Shed". This superb layout makes just a few appearances each year and the Basingstoke Club considers itself very fortunate that the layout is confirmed for our 2011 show.

How often do you see a model with a shed 'table which is as believable as this photo?

post-4085-0-33290000-1297367015_thumb.jpg

Photograph by Tony Wright and courtesy of Nigel Smith

thank you, Graham Beare

Here is a photograph from a set of Knockley Gate. I can do no better than to quote from our Club Programme as:-

"The year is 1894 and Knockley Gate Colliery has just resumed work after a strike under new ownership. Demand for coal is once again high and the Severn & Wye & Severn Bridge Railway Co. is doing all that it can to keep a supply of empty wagons running to the colliery. This was the main purpose of building the layout, to be able to run a large number of private owner wagons and shunt them in and out of the colliery sidings. Coal trains are however, interspersed with passenger and goods trains to the station at Knockley Gate. 1894 was to be the last year of independence for the S&W&SBR as it was to fall into the hands of the Great Western and Midland railways as a joint line."

This is the third rendition of Knockley Gate and Ian has produced another stunning representation of colliery working in the Forest.

post-4085-0-47937700-1296551726_thumb.jpg

photograph by and courtesy of Ian Pope.

thank you, Graham Beare

[other photos in the set show the mineral workings and the colliery screens, maybe put those up later]

• 2 months later...

Doesn't seem to be quoted anywhere but we have been reliably informed that Kevin Broadhurst's "Leaford" is on the guest list. I hope so I'm down to be behind it!:D

I have just spoken to Dave Richards, Exhibition Manager, and he confirms that Leaford is an expected guest at the show this year, further I understand that several members of your operating team have booked places at the evening social event.

I apologise for any discomfort which may have been caused by this oversight by the Club or myself.

regards, Graham Beare

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the confirmation Graham but no upset this end we were just a little worried as Kevin hadn't heard anything from the exhibition manager, however, Kevin will be pleased as I know he is looking forward to it.:)

Mind you I wasn't aware of any booking for the evening do??

As Polly has fallen off of her perch an update to the initial posting is required. These additional layouts are confirmed as attending the show:-

Leaford, OO, Modern Southern;

Ottosschwande, N, Preserved Slate Quarry, Germany;

West Street Yard, HO, American;

SE28, OO, SR / BR;

Uplyme, 3mm, BR SR;

Golden Ridge, HO, American.

Confirmed Traders are:-

KEVIN ROBERTSON BOOKS

KERNOW MODEL RAIL CENTRE

ASPIRE GIFTS & MODELS

THE SIGNALBOX

WESSEX WAGONS

JOE LOCK MODELRAILWAYS

RURAL RAILWAYS

PLUS DAUGHTERS

RON-LINES

MODELLERS MATE

RAILROOM ELECTRONICS

N CRESSWELL MODEL RAILWAYS & TOYS

M & B MODELS

A & B MODELS

AAR MODELS

JB'S MODEL WORLD

WEALISTIC MODELS

CARRIAGE & WAGON MODELS

KYTES LIGHTS

MASTERPIECE FIGURES

SQUIRES MODELS & CRAFT TOOLS

D&E VIDEOS & D/C KITS

MARK PRECIOUS

DELUXE MATERIALS

FOOTPLATE

Details of location, opening times and admission prices are on the Club web site, see here:-

http://www.bnhmrs.hampshire.org.uk/exhibition/2011/index.html

Thank you and here is hoping that you enjoy the show, regards, Graham Beare

Rowland's Castle has been well received by railway modellers and Basingstoke Club is very pleased that the layout is to be an exhibit at the 2011 show. So to wet the appetite here is a photograph of an inspirational piece of work - sorry that there is not a loco in sight.

post-4085-0-95137900-1296551178_thumb.jpg

Photograph supplied by Peter Goss

regards, Graham Beare

[btw - there have been changes to the photos in earlier posts]

Our Club has arranged for a free, Heritage, bus service between Basingstoke Railway Station and the Show, the service timetable is:-

Station leave at 0945, 1035, 1150, 1320, and 1430 (1430 service is not Sunday).

Show depart at 1015, 1130, 1300, 1415, 1530 and 1630 (1630 service is not Sunday).

thank you and regards, Graham

Leaford is a layout with its own RM Web thread, see here:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/4130-leaford-1990s-nse/page__hl__leaford

and hence there is a large number of photographs from which to choose, so after spending some time looking through that thread I have selected a picture which, for me, says "NSE in the 1990s".

post-4085-0-89584100-1296813734_thumb.jpg

This photograph copied from the Leaford thread with acknowledgement to Kevin Broadhurst, reading the Leaford thread is recommended.

regards Graham Beare

"Simply Narrow Gauge" - a logging line in North America. Two pictures from which to choose.... difficult choice.... easy answer, use both.

post-4085-0-98330500-1296979093_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-36793700-1296979114_thumb.jpg

Both photographs courtesy of Keith Willows

regards, Graham Beare

And now for something completely different... a layout with a BR(NE) flavour which is based on that much under-represented railway the "Hull and Barnsley" - Willerby and Kirkella in 'N' gauge.

post-4085-0-45230300-1297115029_thumb.jpg

photograph courtesy of Graham Smith

regards, Graham Beare

Today the photograph is a real treat, superb modelling of a market scene - and not a railway to be seen. This is first class stuff and not to be missed, an 009 layout with attitude.

post-4085-0-11169300-1297193398_thumb.jpg

photograph by Mick Thornton courtesy of John Jacobs.

And especially for Kenton, another superb image.

post-4085-0-85153400-1297461960_thumb.jpg

photograph by Len de Fries courtesy of John Jacobs.

regards, Graham Beare

Today the photograph is a real treat, superb modelling of a market scene - and not a railway to be seen. This is first class stuff and not to be missed, an 009 layout with attitude.

That's the one I'll be queuing to see. I've seen it before and can confirm that the detail is absolutely captivating. The railway and its running were pretty faultless too.

That's the one I'll be queuing to see. I've seen it before and can confirm that the detail is absolutely captivating. The railway and its running were pretty faultless too.

I do hope that you feel that any queueing is worth the wait.. and there are other really nice models to be seen (I have a real beauty of a photo to come later this week).

Please stop by and say hello, regards, Graham

I do hope that you feel that any queueing is worth the wait..

Queuing I don't mind - as long as I can find somewhere to park this year.

Always liked this show in years up to (but excluding 2010) - the whole line up looks good and worth the fuel bill.

Time for something nearer to home. Leavesden is one of a recent trend for 7mm terminus layouts with a mixture of diesel locomotives, luvverly "slam doors" and parcel trains - railways as we knew them. So enjoy this picture and then come along to see (what I think are) "Thumpers", BGs and GUVs plus more modern units. If I get time, there will be a photo of a Hoover as well!

post-4085-0-96453400-1297367524_thumb.jpg

Photograph by Peter Clark.

and something different... East Street Wharf which is a warehouse / canal basin somewhere on the BR(WR).

post-4085-0-56449800-1297367899_thumb.jpg

Photograph by Margaret Evans.

regards, Graham Beare

This post is returning to the far side of the pond for West Street Yard... an American (sub)urban yard for switching pleasure. Watch out for the car wash cameo....

post-4085-0-35635500-1297462485_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-85469400-1297463320_thumb.jpg

Photographs supplied by Chris James.

regards, Graham Beare

Just four weeks to the show and so many good photographs to share with RM Web readers. Here is the photo for today - Cornwallis Yard, a clean and tidy engine, well modelled track and an interesting scene. Well worth viewing.

post-4085-0-91868400-1297547319_thumb.jpg

Photograph by Karl Crowther, courtesy of David Barker,

regards, Graham Beare

Another Saturday, another double dose - this time the layout is Greenfield Sidings (SR in 4mm).

post-4085-0-14521800-1298115572_thumb.jpg

post-4085-0-59450500-1298115602_thumb.jpg

Photos supplied by Richard Puddephatt

Just three weeks to go.. apart from Kenton and me, who is going?

regards, Graham Beare

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few more days to go... and another layout for this post.

If you have enjoyed this gentle wander around some of the layouts which are to be seen at the show then please say which has caught your eye (post to this thread)... and do not forget to say hello at the show.

Unserstadt is Z gauge and is a model of north Switzerland. Nice scenics and good modelling.

post-4085-0-55250000-1299671767_thumb.jpg

Photograph courtesy of Brian Silby.

Difficult to single out one layout drawing me in have seen many before but will relish another close look.

Perhaps Ottosschwande, Greenfield Sidings, Purbeck, The Engine Shed 82G, Simply Narrow Gauge are going to be prioritised.

Looking forward to the show, thanks again for the preview

Archived