Protecting our Gem for Storage or Shipping

Have a look in IKEA where there are some very nice small plastic storeage boxes in the childrens section, at 3 for a couple of pounds (when I last bought them). They are made of a tough, slightly flexible plastic, come in a range of colours and are presumably designed to be child proof. I line these with sheet foam, cut to form a simple cradle inside the box and padded out with offcuts of foam. They will cope with all 3 axle steam locos and some 0-6-2s. I have not found an equivalent for a tender loco, but the nearest substitute is one of the wooden boxes in which bottles of port (and suchlike) are often sold around this time of year. You will, of course, need to dispose of the original contents in some appropriate and environmentally-friendly way. I am afraid that I have no knowledge of gift wrapping diesels.............

Hope this helps

Eric

For storage, I use the plastic trays (normally blue) in which mushrooms are delivered to canteens and greengrocers. These have latticed sides and bottom, so need a sheet of card trimming to fit to stop things like couplings and brake-gear snagging. If they're to be transported, then I normally use bubble-wrap around individual items, though I normally use cheap box-files for this.

The mushroom trays have pegs on the tops of the corners which fit into slots in the corners of the ones above, meaning you can make fairly high and stable stacks. Some, but not all, have slots in the ends into which you can put an identifying label. Best of all- they're free!

I also use them to hold potted-on plants, odds and sods around the garage etc.

Archived