Teeside area traction - 1960

Hello all.

Can anybody tell me what diesel traction would have been lurking around the Middlesbrough area around 1960? I know Class 03s, 40s and 101 DMUs were commonplace, but what about Type 2s and other DMUs? Did the 105s or Derby Lightweights (particularly in the form offered by Bachmann) ever make it up that way at this time?

Also, did any manufacturer ever make a J27 or Q6? I can't find any records anywhere. Would a Bachmann J39 be a reasonably easy conversion to a J27?

Many thanks. :)

Richard,

assuming you mean 4mm, I don't believe there has ever been RTR versions. Nucast and Dave Alexander make wm kits and Dave would always get my vote on this. I have a Nucast J26/27 on the go and an Alexander G5 in the wings and I know which I would choose (to be fair there is some time between the kit designs). London Road do brass versions of some of the other 0-6-0 locos. No idea about the conversion of a J39 but you might get info from these pages.

http://www.lner.info/locos/J/j26.shtml

http://www.lner.info/locos/Q/q6.shtml

Regards,

Jonathan

Can anybody tell me what diesel traction would have been lurking around the Middlesbrough area around 1960? I know Class 03s, 40s and 101 DMUs were commonplace, but what about Type 2s and other DMUs? Did the 105s or Derby Lightweights (particularly in the form offered by Bachmann) ever make it up that way at this time?

To the shunters you can add 04, 08 and 10 (Blackstone engine in an 08-shaped shell) , and possibly the Crossley engined equivalents that didnt get a TOPS code. As ever, derbysulzers will help with the type 2s (Gateshead had 24s, Thornaby had 25/0s, but they werent delivered til 1961), and railcar with the DMUs - the class history section shows 108s at Darlington from new but it would be a long way north for the nearest Cravens (which were at Hull, and of the wrong brake pattern for the Bachy model). 37s were also a year or two away but soon became commonplace, and Thornaby also got a small batch of 27s around that time

. Would a Bachmann J39 be a reasonably easy conversion to a J27?

I'm no kettle expert but I wouldnt call it 'reasonably easy'; I'd think the only real similarity is they both have six wheelslaugh.gif There might be wheelbase or other superficial similarities but they're essentially different locos by different designers, so running plate, boiler, cab, fittings and tender will all differ. The J27 does give good odds though of being on the betting man's list of 2011 announcementswink.gif

Thanks. :)

I ended up picking up a J39 (which I think will be far easier to run 'as is'...) and the plain green 03 at Warley yesterday so thats a start. Pleased to see the 108s appear, though it might be a struggle to find one of the models Bachmann did with speed whiskers but without the roof-mounted headcode box - I haven't seen one in ages. Railcar also tells me that the forthcoming original Derby Lightweights from Bachmann got up there, though apparently only the 4-car sets made it to Teeside. I might have to change that.

Heres hoping for the J27 next year. :)

. Railcar also tells me that the forthcoming original Derby Lightweights from Bachmann got up there, though apparently only the 4-car sets made it to Teeside.

Mmm, not sure about that. ISTR seeing a pic of a quad and a twin running together north of York - might have been in the big Brian Morrison DMU book, which I dont have

• 3 weeks later...

They were used on the Newcastle-Middlesbrough services apparently, presumably alongside the 101s, not sure when or for how long mind. I might just stick to the simple stuff as opposed to over complicating things.

I think it was only while they sorted themselfs out at the begining of DMU services . then the Derbys disappeared The J39 has nothing but the 0-6-0 in common with J26. I am doing teeside as well. so long for a J26:D

There were a handful of Derby 79xxx power trailer sets at S.Gosforth along with the Quads. The Quads were virtually out of use by 1959 (Some had a brief spell on loan at Cathays that year) mainly because of their incompatability with the blue square cars.

Thats good to know. :) I just quite like the Derby Lightweights so any excuse I can find to use one without completely delving into the realms of fantasy is handy. I can always backdate things a year or two to make the appearance of one a little more plausable if necessary, I don't posess anything for '1960' that wouldn't have been seen in '58 or thereabouts.

Archived