ESU Switch Pilot programming problems

Hi everybody,

I have an ECoS 50200 command station and have had no problems programming and running locomotives, but having purchased a Switch Pilot I cannot write an address to it. I have wired a resister, then a lightbulb and even a point motor accross the first output but it will not accept an address.

So the questions.

Where on the command station am I supposed to write the address to the switch Pilot. I have been treating it as a new locomotive as I cannot see anywhere else I can write the address.

I presume I have to use a different address to my locomotives.

I want to switch on RailCom, the manual says I have to set CV 29 bit 3 I presume this means CV29=8

What is the best way of wiring Tortoise motors to the Switch Pilot.

Kind regards Trevor

If it's liike other items try by running wires to it from the programming track rather than the main track. I think that the instructions suggest that this is the way to programme it.

Thanks but I have hard wired it to the programming track.

• RMweb Gold

Having read the manuals for most switch control devices I began to think I was going daft! They don't seem to be as straightforward as loco decoders.

For the Switchpilot though, if you are programming it have you got it wired like fig 10 rather than fig 4 as shown in version 3 of the manual?

Can't think of anything else to help.

Tony

Hi everybody,

I have an ECoS 50200 command station and have had no problems programming and running locomotives, but having purchased a Switch Pilot I cannot write an address to it. I have wired a resister, then a lightbulb and even a point motor accross the first output but it will not accept an address.

So the questions.

Where on the command station am I supposed to write the address to the switch Pilot. I have been treating it as a new locomotive as I cannot see anywhere else I can write the address.

I presume I have to use a different address to my locomotives.

I want to switch on RailCom, the manual says I have to set CV 29 bit 3 I presume this means CV29=8

I have just spent the afternoon installing and configuring three SwitchPilot servos, while not identical to SwitchPilots they are setup in a similar way.

I found that before any of them would behave properly I had to do a factory reset by writing a value 8 to CV8.

You don't add them in the same way as a locomotive, section 13 of the ECoS manual covers adding accessories.

To set the address: connect the programming track wires to the SwitchPilot and then either manually set the address using the CV editor or follow the instructions in section 8.4 of the SwitchPilot manual for how to use the programming button.

To activate RailCom, write a value of 136 into CV29 and write value 6 in to CV 28. CV29 takes a value of 136 as it already contains the value 128 before you set bit 3.

Hope this helps.

Alan

I have just spent the afternoon installing and configuring three SwitchPilot servos, while not identical to SwitchPilots they are setup in a similar way.

I found that before any of them would behave properly I had to do a factory reset by writing a value 8 to CV8.

You don't add them in the same way as a locomotive, section 13 of the ECoS manual covers adding accessories.

To set the address: connect the programming track wires to the SwitchPilot and then either manually set the address using the CV editor or follow the instructions in section 8.4 of the SwitchPilot manual for how to use the programming button.

To activate RailCom, write a value of 136 into CV29 and write value 6 in to CV 28. CV29 takes a value of 136 as it already contains the value 128 before you set bit 3.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Many thanks Alan, I followed your advice and it works now. Gaps in my knowledge have now been filled!!

With a switchpilot i assume a tortoise or similar stall motor has to be wired to the servo outputs on the unit the other 4 contacts are meant for solenoid motors or am i reading the instructions wrong?

They also do an add on servo unit which is purely servo so if you have a number of stall motors you just add one of these to your switchpilot?

Brian

With a switchpilot i assume a tortoise or similar stall motor has to be wired to the servo outputs on the unit the other 4 contacts are meant for solenoid motors or am i reading the instructions wrong?

They also do an add on servo unit which is purely servo so if you have a number of stall motors you just add one of these to your switchpilot?

Brian

Essentially the ESU offer three different products: SwitchPilot, SwitchPilot Servo and SwitchPilot Extension.

• SwitchPilot: Provides control of up to 4 solenoids and 2 servos.
  • SwitchPilot Servo provides control of 4 servos.
  • SwitchPilot Extension is an add-on for the other 2 devices that provides 2 relay controlled outputs that operate in conjunction with either the four solenoid or servo outputs on the main output.

As I understand things, it is possible to operate Tortoise motor using the relay outputs on the SwitchPilot Extension but this would require the purchase of a SwitchPilot to provide control. I hasten to add that I haven't tried using Tortoise motors, instead opting for the servo units supplied by South West Digital.

Alan

Archived