Heavy Haulage Book

Arthur

Browsing through the magazine shelf of my local garage today I found this recent publication;

post-6861-099158600 1290639871_thumb.jpg

130 pages, loads of photographs in b/w and colour, some a bit grainy, but well worth £7.99.

Arthur

Browsing through the magazine shelf of my local garage today I found this recent publication;

post-6861-099158600 1290639871_thumb.jpg

130 pages, loads of photographs in b/w and colour, some a bit grainy, but well worth £7.99.

Arthur

I have fond memories of Wynns as a child- they seemed to do much more work around South Wales than Pickford. I particularily remember them taking a ladle carrier that my father's firm had constructed from the old 'Sheetmills' at Llanelli Steel to RTB Ebbw Vale- not a really heavy load, but of very awkward dimensions.

A photo has appeared in reception at work of Wynns delivering part of a TBM for the 1970s Channel Tunnel project at Shakespeare Cliff.

Apparently, Wynns no longer haul things themselves, but have capitalised on their expertise and act as world-wide consultants on moving large, heavy and awkward things- even when they were nominally 'road-hauliers', they already had some sea-going barges for contracts to coastal locations.

The tractor in the bottom left photo is a 'Pacific', isn't it?

I have fond memories of Wynns as a child- they seemed to do much more work around South Wales than Pickford.

they already had some sea-going barges for contracts to coastal locations.

The tractor in the bottom left photo is a 'Pacific', isn't it?

Hi Brian,

Around Manchester they shared the honours with Pickfords, both of whom had depots in Trafford Park, I remember them in particular hauling heavy electrical stuff out of Metropolitan Vickers/AEI where my dad worked. 

The book has some photographs of Wynns sea going barge, 'Terra Marique'.

Yes, that's one of Wynns unique Pacific tractors, which they converted from WWII U.S.Army, M26, armoured tank transporter tractors;

M26 Tank Transporter Tractor

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29080235@N08/5182224954/

Arthur

Archived