Weathering Stock

Hi

Have started weathering stock and am using tamia powders and mig powders, they are really good products but have prints and powders are rubbing off abit on certain places. Is there are type of fixatives you can use that wont effect original paint work and which wont affect the running of locos?

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott

I use powders after I have sprayed matt enamels on using my airbrush - I find this is the only way I can get the powders to stick! I think they need something to key on to.

I have heard of hairspray being used though...

One of my Duffs with airbrushed dirt & powders:

11ep5h.jpg

Cheers

Trev

There's lots of thing to fix powders to your stock I use Warhammer satin finish and go over them if it looks a bit shiny, saying that I've found some matt finish from Warhammer for £7.20 a can at http://www.wargamestore.com/Army-Painter-400-ML-Matt-Varnish-Spray-Can-p-2030.html, there's also things like Dullcote but there's not much in them for the price and hairspray the cheaper the better apparently. So pretty much anything that is a sealant or varnish in matt or satin at a push from artist or craft shops, I use spray tins as I don't like using varnish through my airbrush may have to invest in a cheap one just for varnishes, hope this helps

spray varnish or hairspray is definitely the way to go, some varnishes however can react with the powders, either making them almost dissapear or making them blur and spread, why not weather a few scraps of plastic and test different varnishes on them to see what works best for you. and bear in mind that some hairsprays can stay sticky for so long that the model may end up coated in dust and fingermarks.

I use a car accessory aerosol varnish with my models, to seal both weathering and transfers, time will tell if it yellows or cracks up after a while, but results seem to be good so far.

hope this helps

Jon

Archived