Wummyock Yard and Stabling Point

Wummyock

Rightho having decided against moving into the loft SWMBO has agreed to me dismantling the garden shed and erecting a new shed for a layout with a garden shed on the end for the mower etc.Should have in the region of 24' x 8' to use and the plan is a twin level layout with 2 helix's making it a roundy roundy.Possibly a second set of storage sidings between the main yard and storage sidings acting as a terminus and dockyard.Layout will be west country based at the end of BR blue and start of sectorisation.Security will be improved by the fact that 2 locked doors will have to be got through.Dont know wether to have any windows?Im leaning towards none but if anyone on here with shed experience would like to give some advice regarding windows Im all ears.

It is totally fictional but have been inspired by Temeraire's layout along with Leaford.There wont be any stations just a large Railfreight yard with stabling point,possibly a couple lineside industrial rail users(not decided on what yet) on the top level and maybe an engineers yard with wagon works on the bottom level with the storage yard.If I go for the second storage yard representing a terminus and dock yard it may take some jiggling as I dont want to be attempting to squeeze between boards attempting to rerail stock.

I'll put up a track plan when I have got one scanned into the computer may go down the route of using some software for this as doodlings always seem to squeeze too much in LOL!Probably wont be till the new year before the shed construction starts as its a bit too close to xmas now!Also have too get the shed built over a weekend as well,should be fun having a deadline like that but I like a challenge.

Cheerz

Wummyock

I personally would want windows so I could see a bit of the outside world. It would also aid a bit of airflow on a hot sunny day.

On the flip side security is an issue both as a potential entry point but also allowing someone to see what you are doing in there.

I see where your coming from Arte,I did consider a thin window near the top of the wall that only someone of Posh Spice dimensions would get through.It would be nice for a bit of ventilation as I can imagine strip lights are gonna make it a tad warm in the summer.Dont have to worry about people peering in too much as they will have to clamber over several neighbours fences to gain access to the back garden.TBH I dont have much of a view from the shed site(just fence panels).

• RMweb Premium

inspired by Temeraire's layout along with Leaford

Blimey Kevin we're inspiring people now!:blink:

Glad to have helped in some small way Wummyock and don't worry the Lions will be alright this season, just remember 'in Kenny we trust'.;)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wummyock

Any news on the shed front then?

Off to the Den tonight for the QPR game, not expecting too much!

Still in the pipeline at the moment Temeraire,mid to late summer is probably shed building time.The only reason for this is the site Im working on will have a lot of 2x2,3x2,4x2 etc etc,mineral wool insulation and 12mm ply sheets untouched left over which will be skipped so the site agent said I can have what I want for building with!!!!!!!Only need to buy a few slabs of beers for him.Saves them having a skip for it and I get the wood for sweet fa.Winners all round.

Problem is the mind is in overload now with plans etc lol.Had a count up the other day and Ive got 84 Peco points of one size and another along with approx 150 yards of flexi.Dont think I'll motorise the points except possibly the fiddle yards.Quite like the idea of a manual switching system with push pull rods.Resisting the temptation to overdo the track but it is hard lol.

May rename the layout to "STONEHOUSE YARD" apparently it was the roman name for Plymouth but will be a tad fictitious as the plan is the docks etc will be still in full swing along with Devonport naval base.Docks handling china clay,timber,grain,fertilizer,steel and MoD(Bachmann and Hornby have a lot to answer for with upcoming releases lol)Along with other frieght such as oil,coal and calcified seaweed from Kernow etc.

The yard will be a replacement for Tavistock Junc.Stabling point/MPD will be for diesel locos as Laira is in my fictitious world solely for HST's.Should be plenty of excuse for 08's,33's,37's,47's,50's,56's(ok stretching it with them but the docks are being extended so big demand for stone and its my railway!)and HST's along with DMU's of one sort and another.

The plan is still for twin deck with 2 helix's and a third level as a fiddle yard acting as the docks and a terminus down by the docklands.I may make this a through yard rejoining the lower level so "loaded" wagons can go down to the docks and return empty and vice versa.

The timber side of building the thing will be intense and the layout may be built in stages possibly the main yard and 2 fiddle yards under it almost acting like an end to end until the rest is built.

I think we'll struggle to make the playoffs now.

• RMweb Premium

think we'll struggle to make the playoffs now.

Probably best, I couldn't afford the Premier League!

Look forward to your updates once work starts, I must get up in the loft myself its April this week and I've hardly been up there since the turn of the year.

• 4 months later...

Seems to have been ages waiting to get going on the shed building front but work has started in levelling out the blocks for the timbers to lay the floor and shed sides on.All going to plan by the end of September the shed will be at a stage that baseboards can be erected.Still going for the twin helix idea.Shed will be 24' x 11' internal dimensions this should give me plenty of room for reasonable sized helix's.Having been looking through quail trakmaps I quite like the idea of using Exeter Riverside yard or the down sidings of Hoo Junction as a plan for the main yard.Anyway now the better half has just purchased some flash digi camera I will fill the thing up with pics of construction etc to load on here if I suss out how to do it.Construction has changed to feather edged treated timber(large quantity left over on site so BINGO!!) with breathable membrane behind that 3" x2" timber framing with insulation between timbers and a dpm inside that,thin ply then lining the inside of shed(possibly hardboard).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived