The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Bryan Ruiz goes into the Costa Rica changing room to find all his team mates looking a bit glum.

"What's up?" he asks.

"Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only England. They're sh*t and we can't be bothered".

Ruiz looks at them and says "Well, I reckon I can beat them by myself, you lads go down the pub."

So Ruiz goes out to play England by himself and the rest of the Costa Rican team go off for a few beers. After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so get the landlord to put the TV on. A big cheer goes up as the screen shows

"Costs Rica 1 (Ruiz 10 minutes) - England 0 "

He is beating England all by himself! Anyway, a few more beers later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on" They put the TV on.

"Result from the Estadio Do Maracana : Costa Rica 1(Ruiz 10 minutes) - England 1 (Rooney 89 minutes)."

They can't believe it, he has single handedly got a draw against England!! They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate him. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands.

He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down, I've let you down"

"Don't be stupid, you got a draw against England, all by yourself. And they only scored at the very very end!"

"No, No, I have, I've let you down!. I got sent off after 12 minutes"

The Costa Rican squad break out into a impromptu:

Ta Da Ta Da Ta Da Ta Bryan Ruiz

Brit15

No effect on the result, so this isn't a spoiler for those who were watching the England game. Suarez - repeat offender! I just do not understand that.

I believe that England manager (whatever his name is) is on something illegal - either that or he lives in a dreamworld. I just read his comments on the BBC site....

Worst World Cup performance ever?

Best, Pete.

Sadly football has veered away from being just a sport and is now more an entertainment industry. With the large amounts of money coming in from domestic and international tv deals, the players can command a bigger and bigger share of the pot as they are effectively the "actors" just like the top Hollywood film stars get paid obscene amounts. It does not make it right. Doctors, nurses and teachers etc do far more important jobs but can only dream of such pay. As a teacher of 15 years experience I have taught many children but my current annual wage is 10% of what Rooney earns a week.

Hey! Don’t knock the entertainment industry - at least we entertain.........................................................................

Best, Pete.

Says it all...

Glad we still have a sense of humour.

Suarez won't get another ban.  They'll just take his teeth out...

attachicon.gif1535614_10152498397505225_4781731694065749599_n.jpg

Do they have enough dental surgeons for that? There's a lot of teeth. I have a better solution.

I had his shoulder on a bed of fava beans with a nice chianti.

14313930077_42cecd4d59_o.png

Edited by Mike Kieran

Nil Nil

Perhaps England will do well next time, they have three new sponsors

EnglandSponsor.jpg

I'm sending you the bill for the dry cleaning that I had to do to my pants because I wasn't able to make it to the bathroom in time. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• RMweb Premium

I am currently working out in Malaysia (didn't ask about model shops in KL, I know what the answer is!!), and their focus has been on the poor showing of the Asian teams in general. 'Shame on Asia!' grumbled the Malaysian Star on its back page, before going on to complain about the total haul 3 points and seven goals from the world's biggest continent (correct as of yesterday's standings). They did include Australia in their stats as well.

So it is not just England, Spain and now Italy getting flack...

South Americans playing on their home turf. They are natural born footballers - the best. No one will beat them, except each other.

I expect 2 South American teams will be in the final - but, who knows, - it's a funny old game.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

I agree with a lot of what's been said about money spoiling the game etc and we can also blame Rooney for missing again and again and again, we can blame Gerrard, we can blame Hodgson and his tactics etc, but none of this matters in the end, does it?  When dissapointment fades and cool heads prevail we will all start to realise that the only thing that really matters is how our national team conducted itself.  England is the home of football, the rules formulated on the very playing fields of Cambridge itself.  Rules that were founded on the principles of fair play, point of order and the spirit of competition for competition's sake.  We have never cheated, bitten or handballed our way to victory and nor should we (Mr Rooney should take note and stop talking about playing on these type of 'nastyman' terms if we want to win).  We should welcome home our team with a bit of pride and always remember that in whatever tournament the England team plays it represents the very tradition of football itself - impeccable sportsmanship.

Besides that, FIFA is mired with corruption and the trophy, for me anyway, has tarnished somewhat over the last decade.  They can keep their cup if they expect us to pay, duck, dive or bite our way to victory, can't they?

I'd love to be able to agree with you, PaternosterRow, but our national side isn't entirely free from the less savoury aspects of international competition.  I'd say that generally we play to a higher standard than most teams, but we had any number of attempts to win cheap penalties - a couple of times when the player gave up a potential scoring opportunity by going over too easily.