Weathering a Van

DaveyH

• RMweb Gold

If I've configured the photographs correctly, you should be able to see the raw material for this experiment in the first picture. I bought this at a Train Fair for 50p or so in order to use it as an experimental base for learning how to weather using an airbrush and a set of weathering powders.

post-1364-058530100 1291298936_thumb.jpg

I first airbrushed the model with a very thin wash of white Tamiya acrylic to achieve a faded look on the panels and on the roof.

Then black and brown weathering powders were applied to highlight the strapping, door fittings etc., and, finally, the whole thing was airbrushed with Humbrol Matt Cote to seal the powder finish. Anyway, this is what it looks like now (taken, sadly, with a very poor camera for close-up work).

post-1364-084894700 1291298962_thumb.jpg

I really enjoyed doing this and will be doing a few more before tackling the Lenz locomotives :blink:

You've make a very good start their, if there's one thing I've learnt from weathering it is to have as may pictures of the item you want to weather as you can possibly get, if there is one comment I could make and maybe it the camera you've used but the faded bit are a little to faded I mean yes they would be faded but they'd also be dirty that's where some powders can come in handy, once you've done the dark area's like the iron work and the strapping just a little of brownie/black powder would bring it all together just before the sealer goes on, just a helpful hint not a remark, once again very well done taking the first step is always the hardest. :D

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments - some of the appearance was down to the flash (automatic), so here's one I took earlier on the telephone camera.

post-1364-064052500 1291324806_thumb.jpg

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

Archived