Lancaster Green Ayre - The Barn Owls have returned.

jamie92208

Yes, I seem to recall they were a light colour, I don't remember the details like whether they were drilled plywood or slats but I was nobbut a young lad at the time! At least I was right about them being wooden.

Edward

We too used the line a lot during the late 40's / early 50's and like Edward I remember it being light wood but don't remember drilled seats . My impressions are of solid wooden slats but it is a long time ago ! :no:

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments about the original stock.  I've just got some scans of some plate glass negatives (1/4 plate) from a well know collection and they are so clear they are giving me all sorts of extra details such as the jumper cables etc.  A good friend lent me the negs but i can't publish them for copyright reasons.  However he doesn't have a scanner another friend  has scanned them for me.  They were all taken in the early 1920's.

Anyway back to modelling.  We had another club night tonight.  For various reasons we can't do too much at the moment as we are having a big move round in the modelling room next week.   However we got the cripple sidings trackbed laid on Monday and tonight John Patrick brought the last two backscenes back with some tentative painting on them.

Here's part of backscenes 9 and 10.

post-6824-0-34773500-1390001257_thumb.jpg

The brake van kip in the cripple siding can be seen along with the start of backscene 10.

Here's backscene 11

post-6824-0-75006400-1390001300_thumb.jpg

The eagle eyed of you may be able to make out the hill that appears on it.  A little bit of artisitic licence has been used.

The ballasting is now complete on these boards, and we are starting to sketch out the brick yardmasters office that will go in the foreground where the Yorkshire fitting is..

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

No, that is Ingleborough, the middle one of the three sisters, Whernside, Ingleborough and Penyghent. Looks a bit large but I suppose you could call it artistic licence, it is actually about 20 miles east of Green Ayre but it does make a nice backdrop.

The plumbing fitting looks rather like a 45 gallon drum!

Edward

• RMweb Premium

No, that is Ingleborough, the middle one of the three sisters, Whernside, Ingleborough and Penyghent. Looks a bit large but I suppose you could call it artistic licence, it is actually about 20 miles east of Green Ayre but it does make a nice backdrop.

The plumbing fitting looks rather like a 45 gallon drum!

Edward

Yes Edward you are quite correct.   A lot of licence has been used.  Even though in shape it looks a little bit like the eastern side of Pen-y-ghent  It's actually copied from a photo that we took on our way home after one of our research trips. It was a lovely sunny day and just past Bentham heading for Clapham we saw that view of Ingleborough and it was so striking that we had to stop and take a picture.   Supersonic and I are going up to Lancaster in the next fortnight before the leaves get on the trees.  The plan is to take photos from which the backscenes will be finished.   The area on those boards has been heavily compressed and of course is sharply curved whereas in real life it was straight with a lot of industrial premises to the south.   However having had the three peaks as my playground as a child I must admit that Ingleborough looks rather nice.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

You can't have a Yorkshire backdrop for a Lancashire layout!!! :nono:

Still, better than a Lancashire backdrop I suppose ...

As a native of Cumberland I can't see what these two tribes of southerners fall out about.

Jamie

As a native of Cumberland I can't see what these two tribes of southerners fall out about.

Jamie

Actually I've got to be careful. My dad was from Lytham, and I only live a stone's throw from Lancashire (ow! who threw that?) plus two of my sisters are Westmerians and I was brought up near Kirkby Stephen.

Last night we took down all of the baseboards in the club for Friday nights big shuffle round unfortunately just a little misdirected PVA got between two of them and we had a job to separate them with a little of the ply laminate coming away with the wrong board. Hay-Ho that's life with Jamie; more ballast down, and the last, ultimate, no more, final point being built for the sickies siding; the good news is that it will be dead, wh-h-h-h-o-o-f.  Tony Bond came up with a great idea for ballasting using a redundant vinegar bottle - patience required but the results are good as well we do not waste too much material.  Will try to get some pics online when the club rooms settle back to a slumber.

Edited by supersonic
  • Like 1

Jamie,

This week the low bridge on the line from Green Ayre to Castle Station claimed another double decker bus, there is a picture in the Lancaster Guardian newspaper of Friday the 24th. It's a long time since this happened before, right now Lancaster centre is in chaos due to major sewage works and I guess the driver somehow took the wrong route.

It has been suggested that the bridge be demolished and the walkway rerouted around it.

Thought you may be interested!

Edward

• RMweb Premium

Jamie,

This week the low bridge on the line from Green Ayre to Castle Station claimed another double decker bus, there is a picture in the Lancaster Guardian newspaper of Friday the 24th. It's a long time since this happened before, right now Lancaster centre is in chaos due to major sewage works and I guess the driver somehow took the wrong route.

It has been suggested that the bridge be demolished and the walkway rerouted around it.

Thought you may be interested!

Edward

Thanks Edward.   Is that the one on Wharf Street or the one behind the castle up near Castle Station.

Jamie

It is the one on the Quay [not called Wharf Street] not far from Green Ayre, it's many years since the last time a bus lost its top there although there have been one or two incidents with trucks striking it. Looking at the photo in the paper it is a good thing there was nobody on the top deck as it has been scalped down to the top of the seats. No damage to that tough old bridge though!

Edward

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well work is continuing and rail painting and ballasting will be the main tasks tonight.  However I've spent some time trying to get the Ladies Walk Footbridge looking something like.  There is still a long way to go.  Over the weekend I finished assembling the bridge sides to the correct length and then this afternoon I cut some ply for the flooring.  I bent up some of the T girders that connect the sides and then had a go at assembling it.  After various experiments I got something that is starting to look about right but will need some adjustment.  I had made a jog for assembling the whole thing and couldn't resist getting some blu tak out and seeing if it went together.

This is the result.

post-6824-0-47380600-1391445934.jpg

The next photo shows one end with one of the supports that go between the pillars in place and the start of one of the stairs.

post-6824-0-32582000-1391445924.jpg

I need to get the rest of the treads and the handrails in but I'm very pleased that everything sort of lines up.

post-6824-0-88328600-1391446150.jpg

I need to find the other four long pillars but overall I'm pleased.

Jamie

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Well last night was somthing different.  3 of us went down to the Nottingham clubrooms to pick their collective brains about building overhead line equipment.  I would like to say a big thank you to Graham Clark and all the team there who took time out from exhibition preparations to answer our questions and demonstrate various techniques.  One guy even went home to fetch a piece of demonstration OLE that he has in a display case for us to peruse.  It really was a masterclass on the subject,   We came away with a lot of questions answered and many good ideas but also several things to think about.   Thanks again to Grham and all the team, for your hospitality.  It was also good to see the two layouts that are under construction.  One (Streatham) is making it's debut at Nottingham show this week and looks very good.  Trent Lane junction is going to be spectacular with some lovely bridgework and junctions.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Well after the excursion to Nottingham it was time to get pole planting.  Last night I braved the winds and went to the clubrooms with Paul.  He spent the evening working on Skerton Bridge where the parapet wall needs to be thickened before we out the stone effect on.

I spent the evening surveying and planting double track portals at the Ladies Walk end.  The first was to be a double one which is the terminal gantry.  I had to move this a but as some fool has decided to put a footbridge stairway where it was supposed to go.  However I managed to find a space where people wouldn't get electrocuted walking upstairs.  I then soldered the bracing struts on them to tie them together.

post-6824-0-85569100-1392324147.jpg

The others that i've got then got planted and this is the result.

post-6824-0-51474300-1392324160.jpg

post-6824-0-93183100-1392324177.jpg

I need to paint them and fit the insulator pots and registration arms but I'm very happy with the effect.

Jamie

PS I hadn't noticed until I re read the post that I'd caught the headlight of a train on the embankment leaving Westgate in the picture.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Looking good! The bottom two shots in particular look just like the early photos when everything was new (even without the wires).

Thanks for that Sparks.  I've just read through your layout thread and wonder if I've taken on too big a challenge with Green Ayre, but as they say we are where we are.   Yes it's good to see the masts up and I#m looking forward to doig the test wiring on the removable viaduct section at the other end of the layout.  One problemn though is that one of the masts on the viaduct actually goes thorugh the roof of the extension goods shed, aka the banana building.   All being well I'm going to put up a few boards from that area at my church next week (Half term so no toddler group.) I need to fasten the viaduct to the goods shed extension but need to ahve the main goods shed in place.  Then I'll be able to put the masts up and do some test catenary.

Jamie

The portals look good planted in the layout but I think the clearances to the one in the sixfoot in the first picture look a bit tight. Have you tried running anything past it? It looks like you might have trouble with anything with a front overhang, like a Midland 4-4-0 for example.

Graham

• RMweb Premium

Funny you should mention that Graham.  I took a 60' diner down tonight and he clearances on that one were fine.  However I tried replacing the next two double track portals with single track ones as per the plans.  These both had their outer pole in the 6'.  The original track was straight.  The diner ran well on the inner electrified line was fine but then Dave put the diner on the puter track and the footboards caught.  I'm going to have to replace that one with the double portal but will be able to have one single track portal before the double terminal set.   I'll try and get a picture on Monday.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

I've just read through your layout thread and wonder if I've taken on too big a challenge with Green Ayre, but as they say we are where we are.

The evidence suggests that your work ethic is somewhat stronger then mine. Hence why I picked something small!

I used to travel from South Wales to West Cumbria regularly and often spent my 'changing' time looking at the Midland side of Castle station. It's amazing how many traces of the catenary are still in place after all this time.

• RMweb Premium

The evidence suggests that your work ethic is somewhat stronger then mine. Hence why I picked something small!

I used to travel from South Wales to West Cumbria regularly and often spent my 'changing' time looking at the Midland side of Castle station. It's amazing how many traces of the catenary are still in place after all this time.

Thanks for that, you obvioulsy don't know how low my work ethic can sink at times.   I remember seeing the electrics as a 7 and 8 year old and thanks to my fathers trainspotting diary know which of the ex LNWR units I travelled on.  I've also seen the remains at castle and somewhere have some photos of the remains.  It's actually quite amazing how many relics still exist if you look carefully.  Here's one I took of the side of the viaduct at the bottom of the castle Branch.  The ironwork is the remains of the support sfor one of the gantries on the viaduct.  I'm just about to model this bit as part of my test piece for the Overhead Lines.

post-6824-0-68704300-1392473660_thumb.jpg

Last night we ballasted the removable viaduct section.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1