NCE Powercab Problem

ChrisB

At some point yesterday, the speed control buttons and direction control on my Powercab stopped functioning. The thumbwheel still works but, instead of just going upwards from zero, now has a centre off position and changes direction depending on which way you turn it. All other buttons appear to be working fine.

This occurred yesterday when I unplugged it to take it to my father's for an operating session. He normally uses an EZ Command but earlier this year, we installed a panel and transformer for a Powercab. We have done this on numerous occasions without any problem. We have to remember to totally disconnect the EZ Command and we did this yesterday. I suspected initially that it might be cold/damp as both layouts are in garages but, after bringing it home again, the problem persisted. It even had a night inside in the warm but this hasn't helped either.

The unit is about 2 years old so is not covered by any warranty and has been trouble free until now. Any ideas anyone?

• RMweb Premium

The thumbwheel still works but, instead of just going upwards from zero, now has a centre off position and changes direction depending on which way you turn it. All other buttons appear to be working fine.

Have you inadvertantly turned on a "Yard / Shunt Mode" ?

It seems to me that you have turned on 'Yard' mode accidentally. I've done it myself!!

It's quite easy to do when plugging the unit in if you happen to be accidentally holding down the Select Loco key

Have look in the handbook under Cab Setup para 5) which details the process (it's on page 18 in my copy)

hth

John

Thanks Guys.

That's exactly what I'd done and it's now back to normal. i'd had a look through the manual for clues but without suspecting anything like this, I was never going to find it.

I'm hugely relieved as I was beginning to wonder if a fix was going to be expensive !

This is one of the many huge benefits of being on a forum like this.

Thanks again.

Archived