Hornby Tender Drive dismantling

A4-Mike

Hi

Could anyone help with how to dismantle a Hornby Tender drive from a Margate Ringfield. This one is from R888 Sir Nigel as it happens.

The plastic part appears to be located by two lugs but there is not enough give in the plastic part to release the metal drive housing.

To clarify all I have done so far is remove the tender cover.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mike

post-9356-089282400 1291759049_thumb.jpg

All from memory (used to be a Service Agent):-

the front coupling plate is removable

the tender frame as you say is located by 2 notches around the lugs on the motor block.

1 end is slightly angled, insert a flat blade screwdiver at the other end and lever gently over the end of the plastic frame, to lift up the motor block.

I think the 4 axle A4 chassis has a large screw underneath to remove the extra lenght, all motors are basically 3 axles (2 outer driven + dummy centre axle)

When re-assembling, note the lugs are different sizes so will only fit one way round

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

insert small flat bladed screwdriver down between the plastic frame and metal chassis at the REAR end. Use pretty strong force to lever the plastic frame over the lug on the metal chassis. It takes a bit of faith, but it WILL pop off with a bit of effort.

The Margate accountants did not consider it necessary to design it to come apart :angry:

insert small flat bladed screwdriver down between the plastic frame and metal chassis at the REAR end. Use pretty strong force to lever the plastic frame over the lug on the metal chassis. It takes a bit of faith, but it WILL pop off with a bit of effort.

The Margate accountants did not consider it necessary to design it to come apart :angry:

Thanks Chaps

All very helpful. It certainly does need some faith! & plenty of FORCE! I fear now I may have buckled the plastic part too much, but I'm sure it's trial and error

I am trialing a new Neodymium magnet esp adapted for tender drives I will let you know how I get on!

Thanks again

MIke

Archived