Fowler sounds

Jens Vesterdahl

Hello all.

A friend from my club is building a Fowler 0-4-0 shunter in gauge 1.

He plans to fit a LokSound XL decoder into it, and he is looking for sound files for a British Leyland 4cyl engine used in these shunters.

Does anyone have any hints on where to go for such files?

Best regards

Jens

Are you sure that the Fowler had a Leyland 4 cylinder block in it or depending on the age and hp it might have had a Fowler Saunders engine or something else.

http://andrewjohnson.fotopic.net/c1875499.html is a 40hp as is Dinmor at Dromod in Eire, Dinmore is operational so you might be able to get engine sounds and gear changes.

There are other Fowlers preserved in the UK - the one in my gallery is at Middleton but it's just a static exhibit.

We also have a later curved front that I think has a 105hp Leyland engine and it's due back into traffic (hopefully) in 2011.

Actually, I'm not sure.

The sound of a 4-cyl BL is what he is looking for. I've been searching a bit for Fowler shunters, and it turns out there have been two of those in operation here in Denmark. They're both scrapped, and they both had 6-cyl BL engines according to all sources I can find. So maybe a 6-cyl sound is actually the right one for his model. I think he's building the one with a curved front.

Anyway, I was hoping someone knew where to find already digitized sounds somewhere.

Best regards

Jens

Archived