XTrkCad Buildings

gormo

Greetings All

I have been tinkering with XTrkCad for some time now................designing and re-designing my layout and I have never been happy with the buildings that are available in the parameter files. I have come up with a method of doing my own and I have submitted one here as an attachment.

The method is to create a new XTrkCad drawing for each building. I set the layout size in layout options to 12'' x 12''........that seems to be big enough at this stage , although I have only done a couple of small buildings.........it can always be set to whatever size you like. I then do my top elevation drawing , adding a reasonable amount of detail and colours and labelling.

When the building is required for addition to my layout plan............I open the building file..........go to edit........click on "select all"...........everything goes red, or highlighted if you prefer.............I then right click and select "copy"..............all done.............close the building file...............then open your layout file ..............right click and select "paste"...............your building will appear highlighted on your layout file............right click and select "move" to move the building to it`s chosen site.........right click again and select "rotate" to position it correctly..............your done !!!!!...............plus by right clicking and selecting "paste" again, the same building will continue to insert itself into the layout file..........very handy for houses etc.

If you wish to try my goods shed...........just download the attached file............Cheers.............Gormo

post-6075-083785500 1292143060_thumb.jpg

post-6075-091898600 1292143061_thumb.jpg

Goods Shed.xtc

Ah!!!!....you noticed that ????.......well there is a separate room adjoining the railway room so that trains from Bamford travel over the bridge which crosses the main line, then they do a loop in the adjoining room, then they return through the top left tunnel and cross the main line into Great Chesterford.......I will add another plan in a couple of days and all will be clear.........Cheers....Gormo

I have a question - how does one travel from Great Chesterford to Bamford ? I can't seem to find the other end of the tunnel.

thanks for the explanation, it is much clearer to me now - I quite like the plan it looks as if it has quite a lot of operating potential.

There are a couple of modifications I would consider (but recognise it is your layout)

1. I'm not sure what era it is based - but if steam, I would add a turning facility to the shed

2. I would certainly not have a cattle dock only accessed through a goods shed.

3. given your "other room" I would have taken the return from the other direction off (maybe as well as) the fiddle yard. This would allow the bay platform at Great Chesterford to be used for services to Bamford (push/pull, dmu)

Hi Kenton

Thanks for your observations...........they are certainly food for thought............the other room is committed for storage...............a single loop of track around the room will not cause any problems but I have decided it`s better to have the fiddle yard where I can access it quite easily...........I was also on a mission to try and have the whole layout in one room.

The layout is steam era and there is room for a turntable............so that probably will be added in.............in other words...........there is still a bit of tweaking to do.

\

thanks for the explanation, it is much clearer to me now - I quite like the plan it looks as if it has quite a lot of operating potential.

There are a couple of modifications I would consider (but recognise it is your layout)

1. I'm not sure what era it is based - but if steam, I would add a turning facility to the shed

2. I would certainly not have a cattle dock only accessed through a goods shed.

3. given your "other room" I would have taken the return from the other direction off (maybe as well as) the fiddle yard. This would allow the bay platform at Great Chesterford to be used for services to Bamford (push/pull, dmu)

You may have mis-understood my comment on the FY.

I was not proposing moving it anywhere. just that the return at the top left from Bamford "could" go direct to the FY (possibly as well as returning under the bridge, thereby allowing departure and return to the bay platform.

The biggest issue is the cattle dock only accessed through the goods shed - an extremely unlikely scenario on the prototype.

Hi Kenton

You are correct...........I got it wrong with the fiddle yard...............I see your point regarding Bamford to the bay via the fiddle yard and I like that.........thanks for pointing it out..........and rest assured the cattle dock will be moved.............I will publish an updated plan in the next couple of days..........Thanks again for your advice.................Cheers ........Gormo

You may have mis-understood my comment on the FY.

I was not proposing moving it anywhere. just that the return at the top left from Bamford "could" go direct to the FY (possibly as well as returning under the bridge, thereby allowing departure and return to the bay platform.

The biggest issue is the cattle dock only accessed through the goods shed - an extremely unlikely scenario on the prototype.

Howdy Folks

Here is an updated and hopefully improved layout plan for Great Chesterford....................Cheers..............Gormo

Hi Kenton

You are correct...........I got it wrong with the fiddle yard...............I see your point regarding Bamford to the bay via the fiddle yard and I like that.........thanks for pointing it out..........and rest assured the cattle dock will be moved.............I will publish an updated plan in the next couple of days..........Thanks again for your advice.................Cheers ........Gormo

post-6075-093630500 1292234487_thumb.jpg

Eeeeh Gad !!!!!!!!!..............I`ve lost some track...............back in a moment................sorry

Howdy Folks

Here is an updated and hopefully improved layout plan for Great Chesterford....................Cheers..............Gormo

Thanks Dave

I`ll have a look at that................Cheers..........Gormo

While you are still tinkering with the design, have you thought of moving the outer fiddle yard exit on to the curve. It would gain a bit of storage, and remove some of the reverse curves.

thanks

Dave

Good Morning All

Further to my original post on this topic, it was suggested to me by RMweb member " Shortliner" that I should be able to save my building files as parameter files. This in fact would be a much easier solution to my original concept and infinitely more user friendly. I have played with the system and worked out how to do it. I still prefer to do my building drawing, initially as a separate file, which allows one to revisit it at any time and make modifications. However, once uploaded as a parameter file, it takes on the characteristics of any other parameter file and can be placed and moved about on your drawing quite easily.........Thanks Shortliner...........very helpfull.

The process now is as follows :-

1: Start a new drawing as a new file

2: Create the drawing

3: Save As.....eg. " Goods Shed "

4: From the "Edit" drop down list click on select all

5: The drawing should be highlighted now..........right click " copy "

6: Close the file

7: Open the layout plan of your choice

8: Right click " paste "

9: From the" Manage" drop down menu select " Group "

10: Add in the Manufacturer name ( possibly yourself ), Description ( eg. Goods Shed ) and Number ( 1 or whatever you wish )

11: Click " OK "

Your drawing will now be saved as a parameter file. If you right click on the hot bar above your drawing, a drop down menu will appear and it should show the manufacturer name that you entered for your file............by clicking on the manufacturer name.........your building should appear on the hot bar.

If you add more buildings as parameter files, and wish to group them all together, you can do so as follows:-

1: From the " Manage" drop down menu click "Custom Update"

2: Click on your building file to highlight it

3: Click "Move to "

4: Click on your parameter file name to highlight it

5: Click "Save"

Your building drawings should now be grouped together...........I have found one snag however...........a couple of my drawings contain track segments. When the drawings with track segments included appear on the hot bar...........they are grouped separately with the track sections eg. Peco or whatever...........Any tips would be appreciated............apart from removing the track segments.

I have also attached some more building drawings for download if you wish........................Cheers...............Gormo

Greetings All

I have been tinkering with XTrkCad for some time now................designing and re-designing my layout and I have never been happy with the buildings that are available in the parameter files. I have come up with a method of doing my own and I have submitted one here as an attachment.

The method is to create a new XTrkCad drawing for each building. I set the layout size in layout options to 12'' x 12''........that seems to be big enough at this stage , although I have only done a couple of small buildings.........it can always be set to whatever size you like. I then do my top elevation drawing , adding a reasonable amount of detail and colours and labelling.

When the building is required for addition to my layout plan............I open the building file..........go to edit........click on "select all"...........everything goes red, or highlighted if you prefer.............I then right click and select "copy"..............all done.............close the building file...............then open your layout file ..............right click and select "paste"...............your building will appear highlighted on your layout file............right click and select "move" to move the building to it`s chosen site.........right click again and select "rotate" to position it correctly..............your done !!!!!...............plus by right clicking and selecting "paste" again, the same building will continue to insert itself into the layout file..........very handy for houses etc.

If you wish to try my goods shed...........just download the attached file............Cheers.............Gormo

Engine Shed.xtc

Signal Box.xtc

Water Tower.xtc

Yard Crane.xtc

Archived