Kitbash: GWR 4-2-4t no 9

Klink

Hello everyone!

I have come far enough in my modelling ability to be confident enough to tackle a kitbash.

Somewhat naturally I picked the most obscure and way-out prototype possible.

The shortest lived steam loco built by a british builder, GWR no 9, a 4-2-4t designed by William Dean.

Very little is known about it- only one drawing (unofficial sketch) has been found, it was the subject of a first class coverup after it failed miserably on its first trip (falling into the turntable pit in front of William Dean!)

I have chosen to use a Triang 'Lord of the Isles' as the basis- it makes for a verrry long tank engine but I really did not feel sure of chopping up and shortening the main body.

The other concession is the lack of a rear bogie- again I was unsure how to go about it. So essentially this is now a 4-2-2-2T!

I am trying to track down a bufferset and chimney- the loco was bought from a swap meet and without them, but the kadee couplers means I can run it with australian rolling stock!(why I have no idea...)

At the moment its awaiting priming and the arrival of Railmatch GWR green. Also on the hunt for a suitable numberplate...

The tank sides were made from plasticard/styrene, filled out with green putty and milliput is the white stuff visible in whats left of the tender..

I'd welcome any suggestions or comments! (and if anyone would like to see the original drawing I could scan it in from the book 'Experiments with Steam Traction'

P1000782-2.jpg

P1000779.jpg

P1000780-1.jpg

P1000781-1.jpg

Archived