RMweb

Forming brass overlays

• RMweb Gold

Im trying to build my self a dp2 using a lima deltic and craftsman kit, and im really struggling bending the roof and body overlays. I dont have access to a rolling mill so ive got some 8mm bar and have used this on various soft surfaces but am having no joy. Any tips would be great or if there is anyone from huddersfield who wouldnt mind showing me in person that would be greatly appreiciated

If the bend you are trying to form is quite severe then there may be a requirement to anneal the brass first.

Annealing softens the brass and makes it easier to form to shape.

To anneal brass heat it in a flame (gas ring, blow torch - in theory until it goes red hot - then let it cool.

Remember the process of bending will harden it again so you may need to repeat.

It also depends on the thickness and softness of the brass.

If you can find them, the Coachmann of this parish, gives tips, with pictures, on this very procedure,

He runs a round-ended spatular along the inside, whilst supporting the etch with a ruler or block of wood. A picture, or two, would speak louder than words, tho'.

Hello

Craftsman used to offer a bending service for their overlays. They did a couple for me , one of which was for a Class 119 unit. Sent them off to them and they came back all done by return of post. I should try to contact them and see if they still do it. Otherwise it could be an expensive learning curve if you muck it up.

Cheers

George

When I diid mine I used a marble cheese board as a surface and around 18" length piece of broom handle. Add to which plenty of patience and maybe even more swearing and about an hour rolling with the handle I managed to form the curves needed

Archived