N gauge end to end ideas

Black Sheep

I've been playing with bits of track and paper again,

I'm thinking, having the crossings prety much where Sir Madog has put them works well, but I'm going to loose the third line as it takes space I'd been saving for the goods yard (I don't like having track that close to the edge of the board) I'm also not confident of finding a footbridge that will span three tracks.

I'm going to make the south platform slightly shorter than the north (top is north and bottom south as you look at it) as the North platform will have the station building, this means I can move the turning for the goods yard a little farther to the left, allowing for the bridge.

the loco service road comes back towards the goods yard and the very left hand end of the south platform would probably make a fantastic viewing of the locos being re-fueled if you were actually on the station.

this all moves the gradient and bridge a little further away from the tunnel

I'll get a plan done

grey boxes are platform,

maroon is station building and footbridge.

bridge has been angled so that it goes over the canal almost at a right angle

pondering a little country navigation pub.

post-10525-004873000 1292615915_thumb.jpg

it appears to be working in my mocked up plans downstairs -

why would it not work? It might require a train to sit for a moment before being accommodated

the plan isn't to scale, I know there's a bit of point shuffling to be done to get it to fit together - I know what points are needed to do any of the current proposals so am going to call into work tomorrow to get a couple of turn outs to continue planning in real space (seems to work better for me than virtual)

I am just doing a bit of simple math:

Turntable: 6 "

Train length: 31" + 1" at each end = 33"

Point work at station: 18"

cross-over to the right: 11"

If you add up the numbers, you are at 68", which leaves you with 28" to be distributed between the bridge, the tunnel and the two cross-overs. Plus maybe 2" between the turntable and the layout - that ain´t much!

at the moment I need to get some more turnouts to physically build the junctions to check it, and the goods lines are going to be a little shorter than first intended but I don't see this as a problem as the layout wasn't going to handle huge goods trains.

i will be cautious when laying out to make sure it is going to fit, thank you for the warning.

Archived