Bachmann 'Salty'

Jenny Emily

I've noticed a number of the Bachmann Thomas the tank engine 'Salty' diesel shunter models turning up on Ebay. The price is rather keen, and it looks like it is, at least in part, based on a design similar to a class 07. I wondered whether anyone has one of these in the flesh to pay a close look at and could say how good they might be with a repaint and loss of the face off the front? I see from the photos that it has solid cab windows, but for a cheap class 07 I think I could overlook that. What's the rest of it like?

There are a few on Ebay, though the photographs are either of it still in the packaging or the Bachmann stock picture. Due to Bachmann not having the UK licence for the Thomas the tank engine merchandise, it is hard to find them for sale in the UK at a location where one can get a close look at them.

The model does look rather basic and on closer examination of photos on the internet of 07s, I'm thinking it might take a lot of work to transform it. Still, I can but wish for a RTR 07 (which could double as its industrial cousin too, though RTR manufacturers seem to have an aversion to non BR/big four liveries).

Difficult to judge from a photo but;

the cab looks to long and the front should be angled back. And it looks to tall.

the bonnet sides look to be at 90 degrees to the footplate, they should be angled,

the bonnet front should be angled back.

As 47107 said, you'd be better off with a Silver Fox model which would be a lot less work.

Archived