The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

In Praise of Royal Mail

Ashcombe

Amazed to receive 'phone call from Greenford PO to confirm our identity in order to reunite Christmas card , wedding photos and update (ie annual boast!) with intended recipient. Apparently the envelope had been ripped open in the machinery and, using our phone no. from the update, the caller was able to contact us to confirm addressee so they would still receive their mail. Impressive!

Much as I've chuntered about the RM and the fact that I thought I'd have to take the family down to the sorting office tomorrow to peer through the windows with me chiming "Look what you could have won"; I'm pleased to say they seem to have busted a gut this week and the last of the long wayward parcels safely arrived around lunchtime today.

Hopefully they'll be able to enjoy a well deserved break for a few days.

Much as I've chuntered about the RM and the fact that I thought I'd have to take the family down to the sorting office tomorrow to peer through the windows with me chiming "Look what you could have won"; I'm pleased to say they seem to have busted a gut this week and the last of the long wayward parcels safely arrived around lunchtime today.

Hopefully they'll be able to enjoy a well deserved break for a few days.

Agreed,

Although I live 2 Miles away from the Leicester depot and have not received any letters, cards or post me and mum and dad were expecting, credit has to be given to these guys and gals' who work for Royal Mail.

I saw their vans parked up all over the place and bobbing about delivering the backlog of parcels and I do think they have done incredibly well, even considering some of the adverse conditions which have faced them in a lot of places.

Merry Christmass RM, you guys deserve it for the work you put in :)

On Wesnesday I was stuffing the Leeds & District Traction Engine Club Notes & News into envelopes. These were stamped with a 2nd class. I toook them home bagged up ready for the RM collection man at 17:30. On the followig day I had got my copy as had people in York and the Isle of Man.

Moral - forget 1st class post when second gets there next day!

• RMweb Premium

I spent Wednesday 22nd stuffing envelopes with the flyers for Volume 5 of Leeds Transport for the Leeds Transport Historical Society (I model in 12" to the foot on their horse tram project as well as 7mm). We posted those that afternoon 2nd class and I got the first three orders thorugh my letter box with cheques attached on Christmas eve. Well done RM. The only thing missing is the new Modern railways which I was hoping to read over Christmas.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Funny that; so do did AMJ.

It must be the Leeds sorting centre. All the replies I got were from leeds area addresses so all praise to the Sourton Sorting centre, incidentally built on the site of one of the aborted Modernisation plan marshalling yards. It's just a pity they didn't put a rail connection in when they built it. There is a lead of protected land that would have done it.

Jamie

Jamie dad got his flyer for Book 5 and I presume that you'll be at the Middleton Railway when the talk about the horse tram takes place in 2011. We also look forward to mating the top deck to the bottom for you - that will be a fun day in the workshop! The upper deck will probably be lifted using a Rodley built crane.

• RMweb Premium

Jamie dad got his flyer for Book 5 and I presume that you'll be at the Middleton Railway when the talk about the horse tram takes place in 2011. We also look forward to mating the top deck to the bottom for you - that will be a fun day in the workshop! The upper deck will probably be lifted using a Rodley built crane.

Hi, Yes I'm looking forward to giving the talk. Fortunately we don't need to lift the top deck as there isn't one. (Not like what you did with the Swansea and Mumbles when the top deck was hung from the BR overbridge at Parkside to be lowered onto the lower deck and bogies.) All we have to do is to screw the seats onto the roof and fit the handrails. The tricky bit will be rolling the running gear under the lower deck and then removing it's wooden frame and lowering the body onto it. As It's a horse tram there isn't a truck as such. It's more like a 4 wheel railway wagon in construction with the suspension units bolted to the solebars directly. It should be fun and make for some good pictures for the talk.

We are getting the wheelsets delivered next Tueday (4-1-11) if you want to come and see them, the first chilled iron wheelsets with a loose wheel on each axle for about a century. If you want to know the details PM me.

Jamie

PS Tell your dad the proceeds from the book are going to a good cause, namely to helping me enjoy my large scale modelling each Wednesday.

Archived