Fitting of Fox Etch Brass Merchant Navy Nameplates

Hi Guys,

Hope you all had a great Christmas.

A friend of mine has some beautiful looking etched brass MN nameplates, the detail and colours are astounding. I am not experienced in this area at all, and offered to ask him the question here on RMweb.

He would like to know if you first remove the original nameplates, or do you overlay the new etch ones on top of the original.??

Thanks................Bob.

Bob

Use contact adhesive not super glue and only apply the adhesive to the back of the name plate and position in place and leave the adhesive to go off.

Applying the adhesive only one one side means that if you want to remove the plate at a later date it is easy to do.

Pete

Bob

Use contact adhesive not super glue and only apply the adhesive to the back of the name plate and position in place and leave the adhesive to go off.

Applying the adhesive only one one side means that if you want to remove the plate at a later date it is easy to do.

Pete

Thanks Pete............sorry if I'm being thick here....but this is an area I have no experience of whatsoever. You are saying to stick it on top of the existing nameplate, in the manner which you are describing.??

Bob

Hi Pete - are the factory plates flat transfers or raised mouldings?

If they are flat transfers then you can simply offer up the replacement etched plates to ensure they cover the original name, then put a thin layer of contact adhesive (Bostick, etc) onto the rear of the etched plate then place onto the model and allow to dry. I roughen the loco surface with a fibreglass brush under the area to be covered by the etched plates and use small model makers clamps to hold in place but that is optional.

If the factory plates are raised mouldings then remove the detail with a scalpel or craft knife and fine wet & dry then fit the new plates as above using contact adhesive.

Contact adhesive gives you the time to ensure perfect alignment and the peace of mind that you can remove the plates in the future if you so wish with minimum rework.

Hi Pete - are the factory plates flat transfers or raised mouldings?

If they are flat transfers then you can simply offer up the replacement etched plates to ensure they cover the original name, then put a thin layer of contact adhesive (Bostick, etc) onto the rear of the etched plate then place onto the model and allow to dry. I roughen the loco surface with a fibreglass brush under the area to be covered by the etched plates and use small model makers clamps to hold in place but that is optional.

If the factory plates are raised mouldings then remove the detail with a scalpel or craft knife and fine wet & dry then fit the new plates as above using contact adhesive.

Contact adhesive gives you the time to ensure perfect alignment and the peace of mind that you can remove the plates in the future if you so wish with minimum rework.

Hi Karl,

Hows life in Kent since your move East......hows the old boy back in wales that I sent you the ZTC decoders for, that I didnt want, thats a while ago now.

I am struggling to give you an answer on your question, cos they are my mates plates, and I'm far from knowledgeable in this area. I dont know the difference between the two types of plate you are describing.

Thanks for your reply.........Bob

Hi Bob - the move couldn't have been better better for my wife and me, spent 40 years in Wales which is where my heart lies but I love living in Kent. so much to do & see plus lots of major life changes too in the last 3 years.

Back on the exhibition circuit in a small way with my latest incarnation of the shunting puzzle too.

I meant to say that the flat or raised plates are those that are already on the loco - looked at a few pics of the Merchant Navy and would say they are raised detail but given the shape and position you should be OK just to glue over the top of the existing plates.

Good to speak to you again, don't be a stranger :-)

Hi Bob - the move couldn't have been better better for my wife and me, spent 40 years in Wales which is where my heart lies but I love living in Kent. so much to do & see plus lots of major life changes too in the last 3 years.

Back on the exhibition circuit in a small way with my latest incarnation of the shunting puzzle too.

I meant to say that the flat or raised plates are those that are already on the loco - looked at a few pics of the Merchant Navy and would say they are raised detail but given the shape and position you should be OK just to glue over the top of the existing plates.

Good to speak to you again, don't be a stranger :-)

Hi Karl.......Thanks for your reply again....glad to hear your settled. And thanks for the help re Clan Line.

If you want to see where I'm at with my layout...check out this link on the layouts threads.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/24882-fairfield-junction/page__p__252230__hl__%2Bfairfield+%2Bjunction__fromsearch__1#entry252230

Cheers...................Bob

Archived