16mm Tram

binesrail

Hi everyone,

For thows of you that dont know me my name is Chris, Ive been doing model railways all my life and 16mm garden railways for the past two years. So far in the 16mm fide of things i have three steam loco's, one is fully working, one has just had a heavy overhaul and the other is in bits in the workshop. Two battery loco's both from IP Engineering, and a large selection of rolling stock in the form of RTR, kits and scratch built.

But i feel now i have got the workshop up and running with all the tools i could wish for, i need to do somthing bigger!

I first got the idea for the tram when i got the new "16mm Today" in the post and saw an artical about building a tram called "Sir William" and i said to my self i just have to have one! The only way to do this ofcourse was to build it from scratch, so i quickly set about reserching the loco, how i could build it and most of all how much it would cost!

After a long time of thinking (about two months) i finaly decided to do it. So and ordered the following parts to start my self off:

x1 Mamod SR1A boiler

x1 3mm copper rivets

x1 1/4" thread safty valve

x1 1/4" thread foot pump adaptor

x2 1/8" diameter x 12" long copper pipe

x6 .008x4x10" tin sheet

The first two photo's are of Brian Sweet's tram built meny years ago and is similer in design to what i shall be building.

The last photo is a rough plan of that i am going to build, but i am sure alot will change as i get through the build.

Thanks for reading.

Chris

post-2641-0-74426700-1293407564_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-25634300-1293407598_thumb.jpg

post-2641-0-94406000-1293407613_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Chris,

Somewhere I have the article from Model Railway Constructor by the late Jack Weldon called 'Tramming by Steam': This was a description of his 'Hecla' tram loco.

It has a dimensioned drawing of cylinder and reversing block which may be of use.

PM me your adress and I'll send you a copy (when I can find it :lol: )

Regards

Richard

Very interesting project, I look forward to seeing further progress. Will you be building the cylinder(s?) and valve gear from scratch?

Paul

Hi Paul

That is still somthing im thinking about a great deal at the moment. I have a lathe, piller drill and basicaly all the stuff to make it from a big pice of brass rod, but do not know if i have the skill to tern it my self. :blink: Idealy i would get a ready made cylinder or a casting and just modify it to what i need, but it will need to be perfect to get the most power out of it.

So yer cant realy anwser that yet! lol :lol:

Chris

Chris,

Somewhere I have the article from Model Railway Constructor by the late Jack Weldon called 'Tramming by Steam': This was a description of his 'Hecla' tram loco.

It has a dimensioned drawing of cylinder and reversing block which may be of use.

PM me your adress and I'll send you a copy (when I can find it :lol: )

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes that would be great!

And althow my plans dont show it im going to be making the loco reversable, with a reversing block/steam chest.

But yes any plans you are more than welcome to send me if you wish. :D

My email is: bines19@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I got the first few bits for the loco in the post yesterday! very exciting i know :D

The boiler, safty valve and copper tubing all arrived and im very happy with, but insted of getting a whistle adaptor valve i got a whistle :( but i phoned up the company whitch i bought it from and they are going to send me an adaptor valve and a stamp so i can send back the whistle. I have to say they gave a very quick response and have one satisfied custumer. (i will forgive them for the whistle mix up :) )

Will put up photo's later of all the bits, and i should also hopfully get my tin sheets some time soon too!

Chris

Quick update,

today been working on getting the factory paint off of the boiler ready for soldering and other work. Also noticed that the 3mm rivits i bought to hold the boiler in place did not want to go on the back head of the boiler :huh: Then i noticed that the holes where the rivits should live was threaded, this confised me a little as all engines with these boilers were riveted in place. So after much head scratching and a little maths i figured out the thread was for a 3mm diamiter M3 bolt :yahoo_mini: (bit of an over reaction!)

So tomorow off to Maplins to buy me a big bag of bolts.

Chris

Archived