Painting and weathering

Hi,

I've been building a goods shed - the ratio N gauge kit as shown in the pic below:

54157225.jpg

Its a lovely looking kit and I love the look of the stonework but have little idea how to achieve the same effect myself, My usual method is to weather buildings to death deciding that the LMS grey plastic that the kits come in works well as stone and so weathering them as though they've been in a coal dust storm in Barnsley does the job but I want to do better than my usual this time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

I'll try and update with pictures as I build it :) (currently just got a basic shell and platform at the moment)

Thanks

Thanks,

I think the DVD might work better for me, being able to see someone doing the early stages of it with it looking odd before final work brings out the detail and makes it look great would help me know if i'm going to get the effect I want.

I've managed to weather my coal trucks so I'm part way there I guess :)

Where to start?

Here is how I would paint this model :-

- undercoat the brickwork in mortar colour (in this picture white)

- pick out individual bricks in a mixture of creams and browns

- dry brush the entire structure to ensure an even muted finish

It is not a quick process but it does give great results

The other option is to undercoat in basic brick colour, pick out individual brick then wash the structure in mortar colour before drybrushing.

A helpful technique video is here on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPfR9JD4Zkk

For a bit of practical learning then you can do little better than pop around to your nearest Games Workshop centre and ask an assistant to show you washes and drybrushing - two techniques which are used constantly in miniature modelling and which cross over into railway modelling too.

Archived