The End of Kodachrome

jbg06003

I think I still have a roll of Ektachrome lying in the bottom of my camera bag. I liked the blue sky you got with Ektachrome. Kodachrome was better with reds.

It's a sad day to see Kodachrome disappear the same way as Polaroid film, but as you say, inevitable. It had very little exposure latitude and if you pushed it at all the results were washed out or muddy, but when you got the exposure spot on, the colour saturation was fantastic.

The exposure range of CCDs in digital cameras is admittedly much better and vastly easier to manipulate after the exposure, but how many of today's images will disappear forever on failed disk drives where that box of slides in the loft lasted for a long time?

Not completly dead. Dwaynes were the last place that Kodak endorsed to do the work. There are a couple of places but one can expet to pay about £40 for the honour. My roll isn't in Kansas any more (see what I did there) and is working its way here. It can still be developed in B&W white chemicals (D76 sprinfs to mind) because of the unique way colour was added. But this unique way was its Achille's Heel as it was the only film that used the K14 process. The time it took to be developed wasn't worth the wait compared to the results achievable with normal E6 slide. Kodachrome didn't help itself when they killed off the ISO 200 but kept the 64.

If I had a £1 for every reel I've shot .....

Loved K200 and used it for ten years before switching to Fuji Provia, whose colour rending overtook Kodachrome.

Dave

Dave

I hope you don't live to regret this change. As others mentioned Kodachrome has a unique processing procedure and this provided colour stability. Certainly my Kodachrome is ageing better than when I have used others - some Fuji has gone generally pink! And why did I use Orwo (answer because it was half the price!).

Terrible day to learn of this being stopped. I tried to use it as much as I could afford on the advice of the professional photographer at work, who would not use anything else.

Paul Bartlett

Not completly dead. Dwaynes were the last place that Kodak endorsed to do the work. There are a couple of places but one can expet to pay about £40 for the honour. My roll isn't in Kansas any more (see what I did there) and is working its way here. It can still be developed in B&W white chemicals (D76 sprinfs to mind) because of the unique way colour was added. But this unique way was its Achille's Heel as it was the only film that used the K14 process. The time it took to be developed wasn't worth the wait compared to the results achievable with normal E6 slide. Kodachrome didn't help itself when they killed off the ISO 200 but kept the 64.

A sad day, but Digital is improving all the time........

Dwaynes are quoted by Kodak as the very last, as the machines there are the last using the very last of the dyes they made, so any other machines will not have Kodak chemicals,(in theory). The Dwayne K14 machine is to be scrapped, or disabled for a museum, as Kodak do not want it to be used by other processors to try to bodge process any remaining film stock with non Kodak dye.

The rumoured still existing machines are in China, where they say they can process remaining stock, one film stock producer there is currently still making a compatible 100ASA 35mm film stock, and some Dutch enthusiasts are trying to get together and resurrect the K14 process, rather along the lines of the return of Polariod film.

It is also possible to home process the Kodachrome stock, but the dyes are really problamatic now, no Kodak source. The film stock will process as both negative and positive black and white, of course.

I think I still have a roll of Ektachrome lying in the bottom of my camera bag. I liked the blue sky you got with Ektachrome. Kodachrome was better with reds.

It's a sad day to see Kodachrome disappear the same way as Polaroid film, but as you say, inevitable. It had very little exposure latitude and if you pushed it at all the results were washed out or muddy, but when you got the exposure spot on, the colour saturation was fantastic.

The exposure range of CCDs in digital cameras is admittedly much better and vastly easier to manipulate after the exposure, but how many of today's images will disappear forever on failed disk drives where that box of slides in the loft lasted for a long time?

Ektachrome good at blue, Kodachrome at red and yellow, Agfa blue, Perutz green, Fuji green..a few years ago it was realised the colour balance was the duplicate of the box colours....... seriously this was deeply researched by Kodak, and when boxes were altered perception of the balance altered.

Over all the 25ASA Kodachrome gave the best chart balance in the lab,, but it was the grain free look as well that scored so well with photographers.

Dave

I hope you don't live to regret this change. As others mentioned Kodachrome has a unique processing procedure and this provided colour stability. Certainly my Kodachrome is ageing better than when I have used others - some Fuji has gone generally pink! And why did I use Orwo (answer because it was half the price!).

Paul Bartlett

Paul, I swapped to Fuji in 2001 when I realised that K200 was not the best in difficult lighting conditions.

All immaterial now as I went digital in 2005 :D Taking a complete dual projection system to camera clubs - that's two slide projectors, Imatronic dissolve unit, 4 channel cassette recorder, amplifier and projector stand as well as ~400 slides, cables etc was 8 cases :( a real pain in the back.

Now it's a laptop, digital projector, amplifier and speakers - just 4 bags.

I have scanned much of my older work with a Nikon Coolscan/Vuescan software and been able to correct odd casts. I will say that Kodachrome can be a bit of a b*gger to scan.

Mind you there's still a certain magic when I see slides properly projected that digital misses somehow.

Dave

Full sun, 1/500 at f5.6 with KR64. Those were the days....

Absolutely...

And the expectant wait for that little yellow box dropping through the letterbox.

I still think that a well exposed K64 taken with a quality piece of glass gives any digital shot a run for its money 30 years on. But lets not forget its greatest quality - it was so bloody expensive (for an impoverished student!!)it really made you think about what you were taking.

Bruce

Archived