Steam Locomotive Shed Allocations

gresley

Can anyone provide information concerning the following:

a. Who was responsible, and on what basis, for allocating the specific duties to the various sheds,

and

b. for the allocation of the necessary motive power to cover these duties ?

It appears to be a rarely, if ever, covered subject.

gresley

• RMweb Gold

On the GWR it appears to have originally been the responsibility of the Locomotive Superintendent's Dept - later the Chief Mechanical Engineer. But at sometime the diagramming element moved to the traffic people to, presumably even back then, put it alongside timetable production and passenger rolling stock diagramming (I can't be sure but I think this move happened fairly late on, possibly even post nationalisation on the Western?).

So in the later case (and today) the train planing folk produced locomotive diagrams (i.e the programmes of work for locomotives) no doubt , even in days of steam, having to take cognizance of the physical limitations of the amount of work a loco could do and very definitely taking account of the planned loading of trains. The amount of work allocated to a depot would be agreed with the M&EE department to ensure that it did not exceed a depot's ability to carry it out while the nature of the allocated work would decide the type of locos allocated.

All timetabled trains, and specials covered by special train notices had locomotives diagrammed to them. These diagrams (at least on the LM) were compiled at regional level for timetabled trains, and divisional (that dates things!)level for special notice trains. Day to day ad-hoc specials had locomotives organised by divisional Control.

In practice, motive power was always at a premium. Passenger trains always kept to diagram except when a loco failed, or services were disrupted. Divisional Control then took over, liasing with Regional Control regarding maintainance.

Freight trains were - in the late 60's and 70's - always covered by Divisional Control.

Mike

Archived