The Russian Revolution

scots region

Sorry if I've set your heart racing there Andy this is within forum rules... I think.

Hello all, I watched this on Discovery History just before new years and it was very good, nice use of reenactments overplayed with actual film of the event, I think captured the atmosphere and the feeling of the time very well. So it was very realistic from my point of view. However I'd like to know what a Caledonian Railway 0-4-4, No 419 no less, was doing in revolutionary Russia. Now when I watch films of television programmers with contain railways I expect gaffs because I don't really expect producers to do all their homework, especially if the train is not central to the story. But in the Russian Revolution railways are very key to the event. To add to the cringeworthness of it they actually used it in live action shots, including documenting Lenin's return to Petrograd as a fireman, he must have had a quite a shock if that was what was waiting for him! the fact that this was made by a channel that specializes in historical programmes really gets my ire.

Whats worse is there is readily available archive footage of Russian Locomotives and from 1917!

Anyway, Over to you.

It's things like this that get my goat, too. Footage of the losses of Barham, Oldenburg and Viribus Unitis has been variously used by the Discovery/History/Yesterday channels to portray the loss of the Bismark, Hood, each other (not necessarily the right one) and any other tom dick or harry that needs to be portrayed as sunk. Why do they use this footage if nothing authentic exists? Is it because if no moving image appears on a television screen for more than thirty seconds, half the audience will be distracted by the first piece of silver paper that blows past their window?

Just to add my extra two pence, they might have even had the decency to repaint the thing to look like a Russian steam locomotive instead they paraded it around with the blatantly obvious, C and R on the tanks! Plus the two rebuilt caledonain coaches!

Archived