Eletricification clearances in Germany

Taigatrommel

Hi all,

I've been searching without joy for the clearances required by German overhead railway electrification at 15kV, 16.7Hz, principally the minimum wire height above rail and the minimum space between the lines and structures (in my case, bridges) assuming the normal German loading gauge with a maximum vehicle height of 4.625m. If anyone has any idea what these are, or how I might find them out, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Thank you. I had a look through the UIC website, but couldn't find any clear references to electrification, not even in the drawings catalogue. I would assume clearances vary according to electrification system, as different currents can arc different distances, hence at this point not adapting the UK references I have for 25kV 50Hz. At 16 Euros for a catalogue and book, I may try and get the Sommerfeldt book if I can't find prototype references. Where this falls down (at least from looking through the Sommerfeldt catalogue online) is around structures, although their range for general use is far better than I'd realised- I've seen too many models using their products without such basic features as registration arms I had thought it was rather more basic than it actually is. It's still a little chunkier than I'd like.

Anyway, this is veering off my original question! Once I have some figures for the prototype, I can tackle modelling it as best I can.

Gosh I feel silly...

It has suddenly occurred to me to check the MOROP website for the norms- and there it is in NEM 202, at least for the contact wire's height above the rail- min 60mm in H0, max 75mm, normal position 69mm. Suggested loading gauge from NEM 102 has a max height of 59mm above rail, giving some 10mm. My gut feeling is that these are rather generous clearances compared to the prototype, but it's something to work with anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Rich,

according to what I could find out, the minimum wire height above the rails is 4.95 metres and the maximum height is 6.5 metres. The minimum distance between track centrelines is 4 metres for newly built lines, but can be reduced to 3.8 metres if tracks are meant to be used exclusively by suburban trains. For stations, the minimum distance is 4 metres – or 4.5 for new builds.

HTH :) .

Archived