3d modelling - Irish Narrow Gauge (and ZRR 15th class garratt)

ben racey

Hi Keith,

Glad you like it. Still mulling this all over. As a start, I don't think it's too bad, I think the rear and front tanks look ok from the outside, though there's some revisions to do to the supporting structures inside.

The problem noted above on the front tank isn't an issue, I'll easily be able to sand the corner of the tank smooth. It's easy to forget that when you have a close up of the tank on screen, that it could well be a huge factor larger than it will eventually be in HO scale...! I think a bit of work might sort out the boiler cradle and cab. Will definately keep working on it and posting updates, views welcome of course on progress! I'm using a couple of photos from Dusty Durrants 'The smoke that thunders' - there's a nice one of a giesel fitted 15th with welded front tank in the early 70's that looks quite nice, many thanks for the link to your photos, I shall study them closely for clues!

I can scale the prints up quite easily, it's fairly straightforward to go from 3.5 to 4mm scale if required, though I prefer HO to OO for these. I've some drawings on the way from the HMRS for some coaches for something for it to pull as well.....

Regards

Richard.

• 10 months later...

Hi guys,

After nearly a year of no progress on the garratt, I've recently redesigned the chassis for the garratt and am awaiting delivery of the new print from shapeways soon. We'll see how this turns out. In the meantime, I've also clad the rear bunker in plascticard, to give it a nice smooth finish. Will update any further progress as it happens!

Regards

Richard.

• 3 months later...

Glad to see you are back onto it, any idea what a set of prints in 4mm would cost?

Anyway, I was in Livingstone just before Christmas and took the attached pics of 401. The museum is a sad sight now, no conservation and it is unfenced at the back and the locos seem to be gradually losing bits and pieces.

post-3169-0-70097300-1340486141_thumb.jpg

post-3169-0-52575500-1340486178_thumb.jpg

post-3169-0-47423600-1340486221_thumb.jpg

post-3169-0-21359900-1340486251_thumb.jpg

Regards

Keith

Hi!

Many thanks for the photos, they'll be really uuseful, sad to see it (and the museum) in a bit of a state though.

I'm currently waiting on some parts from Markits and it is bubbling on in the background... Will keep this thread up to date on progress as and when, however. It's not one I was thinking of selling, as there's quite a bit of work to do to get this right, though if there is interest in the parts I can release them of course - though I'd want to do that once I'm happier that something can actually be achieved with them before releasing them for sale. Watch this space!

Regards

Richard.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

The Warley show approaches, and, this year, I'm doing a demonstration on 3d printing on stand E39a.

I'll be setting up a laptop, and screen with some of the models that I've designed to date, and am aiming to discuss the technology, how it works and demonstrate some of the techniques I've been using - through sketchup, netfabb and cadspan. Of course, I won't have a printer there... but will be able, if I can get onto Wifi at the NEC, to show some of the principles of it, and of course discuss how I've approached some of the problems I've faced getting models to print via Shapeways and imaterialise.

I'll be bringing the various iterations of the 15th class garratt along with me for interest, and to discuss.

If you're coming, please feel free to stop by and say hi.

Hope to see you there!

Regards

Richard.

• 6 months later...

Nice to see the 15th photos.

Went to Zimbabwe 1991 for 2 weeks enjoying them (And other classes)

I had intended going to Warley but the weather here in Devon upset my travel plans.

Maybe I'll catch up with the models somewhere in the future.

Kev S

www.exemrs.co.uk

Archived