Dismantling Plastic Buildings?

Hello Everybody.

Does anyone know of a good way to dismantle plastic buildings into their component parts?

I have two plastic signal boxes not made by me which I would like to break down into their component parts so that I can use the parts to make one large box for a layout I am building. I??™m not worried about the paint or anything like that; I just don??™t want to damage the parts in dismantling them. I don??™t know what type of glue was used in putting them together originally. Any help will be gratefully received.

Depends on the glue used!blink.gif

Most plastic solvent types which 'weld' the plastics CAN be eased apart by using a very sharp scalpel blade and a great deal of patience.

Take it steady, and any rough edges can be cleaned up with a very fine (800 grit or finer) wet and dry.

Used this method a couple of times, no probs at all.

The thicker tube cements and super glues are a little harder but can still be 'cut' apart.

It may mean using a fine razor saw. Keep the sawdust for later................

Make good any gaps with filler or liquid solvent with a small amount of plastic disolved in it ( your sawdust!) to make your own 'filler'. If you use shavings from the model then the colour match should be ok to.

Take it steady, it should work out!wink.gif

Depends on the glue used!blink.gif

Most plastic solvent types which 'weld' the plastics CAN be eased apart by using a very sharp scalpel blade and a great deal of patience.

Take it steady, and any rough edges can be cleaned up with a very fine (800 grit or finer) wet and dry.

Used this method a couple of times, no probs at all.

The thicker tube cements and super glues are a little harder but can still be 'cut' apart.

It may mean using a fine razor saw. Keep the sawdust for later................

Make good any gaps with filler or liquid solvent with a small amount of plastic disolved in it ( your sawdust!) to make your own 'filler'. If you use shavings from the model then the colour match should be ok to.

Take it steady, it should work out!wink.gif

Thanks BlackRat.

Wasn't sure if there was any good way to do it. Don't know what glue was used but they're pretty well stuck together.

Archived