Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A New Language and Invitation to Contribute

This is the essential part of one of my posts in our leader's missive about the Bachmann O4 launch at Manchester:-

"I have noticed this 'effect' before. A long lost interest in an obscure, hard to find model or kit or even the previous less detailed version of the new RTR offering, seems to generate fresh interest and value.

It doesn't seem to last very long after the RTR version is released.

Perhaps we should beat our brains for a title or handle for this effect? "

Well then 34C came along and PM'd me. This thread is the result.

We discussed various ways to describe and quantify this 'effect' and have used two words to precede and folllow the subject of the desire leading to the 'effect'.

These two words are 'Retro' and 'Phily'.

Then again, the end result of the 'effect' is to take the 'Phily', change the Y to i and add 'stosis'.

This gave us an absolutely ace word which will always be underlined in red by your spellchecker.

"retrobluepullmanphilistosis"

Let us try some more:- retroStandard4phily, retroT9kitsphily, retrocheesecakephily (Pudsley?), retrostoveRphily.

Now it is your turn.

Two things before you go. First, AndyY suggested this topic goes here and, if you join in, both 'froth' and 'wish list' are entirely banned unless translated into 'effect' language.

Have fun!!

Well, I had to read that twice and I'm still not fully sure I followed it, and I cannot for the life of me fathom whether I'm suffering from retrofarishbuckjumperphily or retrografarjaysixtyninephilitosis (stick ~gogogoch on the end of that one and you could use it for the name of a Welsh mountain narrow gauge layout ... ) but I think it's got to be one or the other.

So have I got the hang of this, would you say??

Well, I had to read that twice and I'm still not fully sure I followed it, and I cannot for the life of me fathom whether I'm suffering from retrofarishbuckjumperphily or retrografarjaysixtyninephilitosis (stick ~gogogoch on the end of that one and you could use it for the name of a Welsh mountain narrow gauge layout ... ) but I think it's got to be one or the other.

So have I got the hang of this, would you say??

Yes, perfectly.

This post also proves that this topic crosses all gauges and eras.

Bring it on!

retrodecenthymekphily

what about a regression to the past, this also needs a term, such as the amount of modellers who like me have decided that the lima 31 will do with bit of tarting up, over a new Hornby exploding 31...

or a term for the new self destructing rtr models...

Ahhh......... they suffer from Retroblauepullmanwagen-krankheit in Germany, of course, a rare illness though, treated by a course of Anti-Retroblauepullmanwagen-krankheit, drug treatment, aided by a trip on a well run railway system to a health spa in Bavaria........

Welsh outbreaks are Retroglaspullmanadwythbydapolitis, and it's very serious indeed...and impossible to treat in this country on the NHS.

Stephen.

RetrovorbildlicheBahnmodellundAutokrankheitaudiwegendesBl?¶dsinns

Sounds like an attack of Model railway and car illness once common in Germany, of course there was the East German version.....RetrovorbildlicheBahnmodellundAutokrankheittrebantwegendesBl?¶dsinns

Stephen.

The French also have a word for MR enthusiasts ........

LeRetrojeunefoisaivuunevoiturepullmanbleuesurebaymaisnel'apasachet?©lamaladie

Strange isn't it how certain forms of these afflictions are socially acceptable whereas very similar ones are not. Viz:

RetroHornbytinplate0gaugetrackphily is cool.

RetroTriangSuper4trackphily is not.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived